This heritage-listed home has sold for big bucks at its first ever sale since construction in 1912

first_imgInside 11 Mowbray Tce, East Brisbane.“We also had four interstate bidders from Sydney, and interest from overseas,” he said.Mr Hicks said the new owners were a local family with three boys at Anglican Church Grammar School who plan to renovate the home before moving in. City views from 11 Mowbray Tce, East Brisbane.This is the first time it has been offered to the market since its construction in 1912.Mr Hicks said of the 30 registered bidders, 15 participated in the bid. 11 Mowbray Tce, East Brisbane.This heritage-listed home has sold under the hammer for $4 million. The home at 11 Mowbray Tce, East Brisbane.“This is a strong reflection of the market,” he said. “It shows a real demand for larger sized blocks in the inner-city.”The property, named Fairholme, sits on a huge 1712sq m block with 180-degree views of the Brisbane city, river and surrounding suburbs. The home at 11 Mowbray Tce, East Brisbane.According to the latest data from CoreLogic, that’s well above the median house price of $899,000 in the area. Marketing agent Shane Hicks of Place Real Estate, Bulimba, said it was the land size and location of 77 Mowbray Tce, East Brisbane, that attracted 250 people to watch the auction unfold.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus22 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market22 hours agolast_img read more

James Fisher Nets East Anglia One Maintenance Contract

first_imgScottishPower Renewables has awarded James Fisher Marine Services (JFMS) with a contract to provide scheduled maintenance at the East Anglia One offshore wind project.Under the GBP 5.6 million contract, JFMS will provide scheduled and corrective maintenance to the wind farm, with work including statutory inspections, equipment maintenance and structural integrity checks for components.The three-year Above Water Balance of Plant contract will see the company working both onshore and offshore servicing the project.The value and length of the contract are expected to provide around 20 new jobs at the project’s recently opened O&M base in Lowestoft. There is also an extension option after the initial contract term.“We’re delighted to have been selected by ScottishPower Renewables and extend our close working relationship with the East Anglia ONE team,” said Scott McMillan, Operations & Maintenace Director at JFMS.“As a company rooted in Lowestoft, we are really proud to be part of a local supply chain that celebrated a collective achievement when the wind farm generated first power earlier this year, and made huge strides towards helping to produce the clean energy the UK needs, whilst also providing opportunities to the people and businesses of East Anglia.”Previously, JFMS secured contracts to provide integrated marine services and removal of unexploded ordinance at the UK wind farm.East Anglia One will comprise 102 Siemens Gamesa 7MW turbines located 43km off the Suffolk coast. The 714MW offshore wind project, which generated its first power in September, is expected to be fully commissioned in 2020.last_img read more

Rotary Club donates 3 Singer sewing machines to Alpha Centre

first_img Share Share 36 Views   no discussions Rotary Club President Marvlyn Birmingham handing over sewing machines to the Alpha Centre Principal Raymond Philogene Students of the Alpha Centre in Goodwill are now better equipped for their sewing class compliments of the Rotary Club of Dominica who made a donation of three Singer sewing machines on Monday.This is the result of an ongoing partnership between the Rotary Club of Dominica and the Alpha Centre. Last year the Club supplied the Centre with books to furnish their library.President of the Club, Marvlyn Birmingham noted that the donation is part of a project which commenced in 2011 where the Rotary Club of Orleans, Canada partnered with the Rotary Club of Dominica and the Alpha Centre management board and staff on a Special Needs Education Program.The Special Needs Education Program was implemented on 26th March, 2011 by a team of four Canadians, two Rotarians and two specialists including an Autism consultant from the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario and an Early Childhood Educator. The Canadian Team worked in collaboration with the Special Needs Education Unit and the Library Services of the Ministry of Education and the Board of Directors of the Alpha Centre.Under that program the team brought in a group of educators who conducted training for the teachers at the centre as well as for the parents of the students.The Alpha Centre StudentsAccording to Birmingham, that program involved skills development for the students and as a result the Club decided to purchase manual sewing machines for the students. “We know that it may be difficult for them to use the foot operated machines or the electrical operated machines and therefore we purchased the hand-operated machines. It took a while to get it here because we had to get it on special order,” she explained.Birmingham who announced “that the program continues” informed the Centre that sometime later during the course of 2012 the Rotary Club of Dominica “expect to receive a shipment of books, sewing materials and supplies for the Alpha Centre to compliment the machines and the Library which was put together by the Rotary Club”. She said the Club also intends to continue training with the Centre in 2013and that the Club is “happy to be of assistance and in a partnership with the Alpha Centre”.Meanwhile Principal of the Alpha Centre Raymond Philogene stated that the students have sewing twice a week and invited the president and members of the Club to visit the students and witness them “having fun sewing”.Public Relations Officer of the Club Gloria Tavernier as well as Rotarians Mary Roberts and Haynes Jacobs were also present at Monday’s donation.Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring!center_img Share EducationLocalNewsPrimary Rotary Club donates 3 Singer sewing machines to Alpha Centre by: – March 26, 2012 Tweetlast_img read more

Batesville Athletes Swimming For A Cure

first_imgOn November 17, 2018, Batesville High School will join thousands of athletes from collegiate, high school, and club teams across the nation and abroad to celebrate the 13th Annual Ted Mullin “Leave it in the Pool” Hour of Power Relay for Sarcoma Research, sponsored by Carleton College swimming and diving teams.The Hour of Power event honors those who are fighting or have succumbed to cancer, including former Carleton swimmer Edward H. “Ted” Mullin, who passed away from synovial sarcoma, a rare soft-tissue cancer, in September 2006.  The annual swim relay, which now includes dryland teams as well, has grown from 15 teams in its first year to over 160 teams and more than 8,000 athletes across the nation and the world in recent years. Participating swim teams engage in continuous relays of any stroke for a full hour of all-out swimming. Dryland teams engage in their particular sport non-stop for a full hour.In the event’s first 12 years, participating teams have raised $770,000 to support research at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital into the causes and treatment of sarcoma and other rare pediatric cancers. From all sources, the Ted Mullin Fund has now raised over $1.25 million.The funds have been used for a variety of projects that evaluate the genetic basis of sarcomas, the identification of novel markers of disease diagnosis or progression, and the development of new small molecule and cell therapies for resistant disease.  Each summer, the University also hosts Ted Mullin Fund scholars, offering four Hour of Power collegiate participants an opportunity to advance their interest in science and cancer biology by spending 10 weeks in a laboratory under the mentorship of a pediatric cancer researcher within the Section of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at the University of Chicago Medicine.As of November 11, 2018, over 120 teams including an estimated 5,500 athletes have registered for the 2018-19 Ted Mullin Hour of Power Relay. Registration is still underway and more teams are expected to take part.Interested collegiate, high school and club teams are invited to register for the 2018-19 Hour of Power and find more information at http://go.carleton.edu/HourOfPower.  You can also contact Carleton College head coach Andy Clark at aclark@carleton.edu or Rick Mullin at rmullin@tedmullinfund.org.If you are interested in donating to the Ted Mullin Fund go to: https://cart.fjc.org/product/view/fjc1508424691/214 to donate online.last_img read more

Three from EHS named to All-State wrestling team

first_img EHS names new boys’ soccer coach – July 13, 2016 Bio Latest Posts Latest posts by Taylor Vortherms (see all) Part 1: Invisible, incapacitating concussions are sidelining high school athletes – July 19, 2016center_img Taylor VorthermsSports Editor at The Ellsworth AmericanTaylor Vortherms covers sports in Hancock County. The St. Louis, Missouri native recently graduated from the Missouri School of Journalism and joined The Ellsworth American in 2013. Part 2: When the injury is inside your head, some “don’t get it” – July 26, 2016 ELLSWORTH — Three members of the Ellsworth High School wrestling squad were named to the Maine Sunday Telegram’s All-State wrestling team this weekend.Peyton Cole, Dagan Berenyi and coach J.F. Burns were included in the selection, deemed Maine’s best this season.Burns was named Coach of the Year for guiding Ellsworth to its first ever regional title as well as to the Eagles’ first Class B state championship in 33 years. Burns also coached five individual state champions: Cole (132), Jack Weeks (138), Berenyi (145), Connor Petros (152) and Trent Goodman (160).Cole, a 132-pound freshman, was the state champion and the all-state runner-up (injury default). Cole went 38-7 overall, including a win at New Englands.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textBerenyi, a 145-pound junior, won his second straight state championship and was also an all-state champion, despite breaking his tibia with a minute remaining in the final against Class A champ Zak Richard of Massabesic. Berenyi finished the year 30-2.last_img read more

TABLE TENNIS:Commey and Kwabie are 2014 Top 8 Champions

first_imgNew sensation Emmanuel Commey from Swalaba in Accra Central, proved to be a rising star ready to wear a crown when at his third consecutive finals at a National Table Tennis Open, defied all odds to beat the experienced reigning champion, Derek Abrefa, to become the new Ghana Top 8 winner for 2014. The competition, which is the second edition sponsored by Stanbic Bank took place at the rlg / Hathiamami Sports Hall and it attracted the best eight players from both male and female categories. All the best players in Ghana were represented and when the tables were set for the last four finalists in the male division,  it was Emmanel Commey who used his youthful exuberance and stamina to stop the all-conquering Derek Abrefa at the finals.Felix Lartey placed third, whilst high spirited powerful back hander, Jacob, from the Ghana Prisons was fourth. The Sports Hall was full of tension and excitement for the fans who watched the finals. Commey’s supporters who came in their numbers to watch the game were never disappointed as their player was fantastic on the day. They joined him to pose for the cameras while celebrating with him. Samuel Akayide, one of the enterprising young players could have made it to the first four if he had beaten his opponent at the Quarter final stage Crafty Cynthia Kwabie from the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS), defeated improving Linda Annor in the ladies’ final to become the second winner of the Top 8 Female category after Celya Baah Danso, who though was hit with fever, managed to place fourth after she was beaten by strong hitting Bernice Borquaye for the third placed match. Beatrice Gyasi, a former champion who placed sixth, told yours truly she will be back in grand style as she hopes to qualify for the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games. She said this is the first event to kick start the season and she wants to study the younger players so as to out-do them in subsequent competitions. Coach Owusu Ansah, the national chief coach, expressed his satisfaction with the standard of the game in Ghana and said the game has become popular with new young boys and girls trying to challenge the old faces.He noted that series of tournaments would be organized before the Commonwealth Games in Scotland to prepare and keep the national players in shape. Mawuko Afadzinu PRO / Communications Manager of Stanbic Bank, sponsors of the tournament, said the game of Table Tennis must be able to reward the nation with medals from international competitions and is glad that the Black Loopers were able to participate and win a competition in Benin. However, he noted that, it has in a way boosted the morale and confidence of the players who represented Ghana. He advised the players to keep on training and step up their efforts to play like the top international stars.All the participants were presented with cash of Gh¢ 200.00 each, in addition to their attractive prizes.Meanwhile, the Amoah Tennis Series for young players has been scheduled for March 8 at the Hathiramani Sports Hall. Eric Amoah, former national champion who wants to support young Table Tennis players, has appealed to companies and organisations who want Ghanaian youth to develop through sports to support the event.last_img read more

Management of Kotoko: Dramani is still at post

first_imgDefending Ghana Premier league champions Asante Kotoko have confirmed  their head coach Masud Didi Dramani is still in charge  of the club despite rumors  he had been asked to proceed on leave.The club’s communication manager Kweku Ahenkra in an interview with JOY Sports however indicated  there is a soul-searching exercise following the recent slump in form which has seen the Porcupine Warriors amass a paltry 8 points from the available 21 in the First Capital Plus Premier League which has made everybody’s job at the club  under scrutiny including head coach Mas-Ud Didi Dramani.”Didi has been going to training, he’s been handling the team ever since the rumors started, He’s doing all the chores expected of him as Asante Kotoko coach ,so he is not  being  sacked .but there has been a peer review mechanism which has been put in place by the Board of directors and really everybody’s job at the Club scrutiny “he said.Reports  though  are rife the soft-spoken coach has been asked to step aside following the side’s unflattering start to the season. Kotoko find themselves in a tricky situation as the dismissal of the coach will lead to huge sums of money being paid as compensation for wrongful termination of his contract Dramani has been accused of tinkering too much with his squad and believed to have lost the dressing room plot as well. Kotoko have endured a difficult start to life this term where they have managed only two wins from seven games and languish in 10th positionIt’s however unclear who will replace him in the interim as the Club has made contact  with former Hearts of Oak coach David Duncan ,Ashantigold trainer Bashir Hayford Heart of Lions trainer Yusif Abubakar .last_img read more

5 must-see tweets after Bryce Harper’s walk-off grand slam

first_imgBryce Harper provided one of the coolest moments of the season Thursday with a walk-off grand slam to lift the Phillies to a 7-5 win over the Cubs.Words simply don’t do the moment justice, so here’s the perfect call from the Phillies broadcast: MLB wrap: Indians trounce Yankees, but Bryce Harper steals show in Philadelphia Bryce Harpers walk off grand slam is THAT much better with titanic music pic.twitter.com/grtq4jNoik— Joe Calise (@average_joe207) August 16, 2019However, this audio dub might be even better. New walk-up song?@JohnKruk saying “oh my god” after Harper’s walk-off grand slam made into a beat 😉 @AlexCarrMLB with the idea pic.twitter.com/O3XVgCarTr— Caleeb (@phillycaleb) August 16, 2019But let’s not forget about the fans in Citizens Bank Park who will never forget this night. This view from center field is a cool perspective:When you don’t want the party to start without you 🏃‍♂️💨❗️ @Phillies | @bryceharper3 | #BallparkCam pic.twitter.com/ThLIUTLXUP— MLB Network (@MLBNetwork) August 16, 2019 BRYCE. IN. HIS. VEINS. ❄️#RingTheBell pic.twitter.com/i9O3JCBwD3— Philadelphia Phillies (@Phillies) August 16, 2019How cool was that?The combination of that moonshot, in that spot, wearing those beautiful throwback uniforms, in front of that crowd created such an unbeatable setting for Harper’s display of boy-like excitement as he bolted around the bases to an utterly electric mob of teammates. Related Newscenter_img The moment wasn’t lost on Twitter, which had plenty to say about Harper’s unforgettable moment. Here’s a look at some of the best the web had to offer:The Cubs’ broadcast balanced the thrill of victory with the agony of defeat.Cubs broadcast calls Bryce Harper’s walk-off grand slam pic.twitter.com/cbQIOk4794— VHS (@VanHicklestein) August 16, 2019This oddly satisfying tweet makes it easy to get caught up in Harper’s sprint around the bases, but you almost feel bad for the little yellow dots — especially center fielder Albert Almirola Jr., who clearly sulked off the field in disbelief.Once Bryce Harper made contact, the Cubs right fielder knew this one was over. pic.twitter.com/uVbHwiBJZg— Cut4 (@Cut4) August 16, 2019And, of course, Harper’s “titanic” blast needed the Celine Dion treatment. Derek Jeter says Don Mattingly’s future with Marlins will be addressed ‘sooner rather than later’last_img read more

UEFA hold off on VAR use in Champions League amid ‘confusion’

first_imgVideo Assistant Referee confirming a goal in match using VAR systemBratislava, Slovakia | AFP | UEFA will not introduce Video Assistant Referees (VAR) for next season’s Champions League because of ongoing “confusion” surrounding its use, Aleksander Ceferin, the president of European football’s governing body, said on Monday.“Nobody knows exactly how it works yet. There is still a lot of confusion,” Ceferin said at UEFA’s Congress in the Slovakian capital Bratislava as he confirmed it would not be introduced for next season’s Champions League.VAR has been used this season in various club competitions, including the German Bundesliga and Italy’s Serie A.It looks set to be used at the World Cup in Russia in June and July, with the International Football Association Board (IFAB) set to confirm that decision on March 3.FIFA president Gianni Infantino recently said he was “confident and positive” about VAR being introduced.“I am not at all against it, but it needs to be better explained when it is being used. We will see at the World Cup,” added Ceferin.“It could be a good project, useful for football, but we must not rush to take such decisions.” VAR can only be used for four game-changing situations: after a goal, penalty decisions, after a straight red card or in cases of mistaken identity.However, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge disagrees with UEFA’s decision.“If I’m honest, I regret that,” said the Bayern boss.“I’ve found in the Bundesliga that the refereeing decisions that are being made are far more reliable and are fairer than what you’ve often experienced in the past.“Unfortunately, that’s how things are for now, but I am convinced that eventually the video refs will also enter the Champions League.“The referees are thereby supported in a positive way. It makes the game better, more reliable and fairer.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more