Heat indices expected to hit triple digits

first_imgDES MOINES — It will be a steamy one through the weekend in north-central Iowa.Meteorologist Cory Martin, at the National Weather Service in metro Des Moines, says summer’s not even been here for a week and it’s already time to crank up the fans and air conditioners.“Temperatures are going to be getting up into the 90s along with the humidity that’s already in place, it’s not going to go anywhere,” Martin says. “You combine that kind of heat and humidity, we’re looking at heat indices getting into the low 100s as we go through the weekend.”As yet, no advisories, watches or warnings have been issued in Iowa due to the heat, but that could change soon. “This will be the hottest weather we’ve had so far this year,” Martin says. “Here in Des Moines, we’ve only seen two days where we’ve cracked 90 degrees which is a little behind what we typically see. It’s going to feel miserable for most people who are outside, just because we’re not used to it.”When the heat index gets into triple-digits, Martin says it’s very important to take the heat seriously and take precautions if you’re working — or playing — outside. “The last time we saw 90-plus degrees in Iowa would’ve been earlier this month. June 5th, I believe, quite a few locations in central Iowa cracked 90 degrees, but at that time, we didn’t have the same level of humidity,” Martin says. “It’s going to feel like our typical dog days of summer where it’s just hot and humid. Make sure, during the peak heating times, you limit your time outside and stay hydrated.”The extended forecast calls for highs in the 80s and 90s across much of Iowa at least through next Wednesday.last_img read more

Bicycle, Blues & BBQ Festival, Beach Craft Beer Festival in Clear Lake cancelled

first_imgCLEAR LAKE — The 2020 edition of the Bicycle, Blues and BBQ Festival and the Beach Craft Beer Festival scheduled for July in Clear Lake has been cancelled.A statement from Festival Director Tim Putnam and Race Director Matt Curtis says they tried to hold off a decision as long as possible in the hopes that holding the festivities without limitations would be possible. They say as a small volunteer organization, they feel they could not reasonably hold the events while also following public health guidelines.Putnam and Curtis say that with athletes, blues enthusiasts, craft beer lovers, friends and family coming from over 15 states, plus the over 150 volunteers that help with the event, it all adds up to about 10,000 people who come to one central location in Clear Lake, and they know they would not be able to provide the needed protocols that would give everyone the confidence of a safe and healthy environment.With that, they chose to err on the side of public safety and cancel this year’s event, which was scheduled for July 10th through the 12th.last_img read more

Mason City, Clear Lake tentatively scheduled to have joint fireworks July 3rd at North Iowa Events Center

first_imgMASON CITY — There might be fireworks in Cerro Gordo County during the Independence Day weekend. Both the Clear Lake and Mason City city councils this week are scheduled to consider a proposal to fund the joint fireworks celebration between the two communities that is tentatively scheduled for the night of July 3rd at the North Iowa Events Center. The Mason City Exchange Club traditionally holds its fireworks celebration on the Mason City High School campus on July 3rd, but due to COVID-19 and the need to socially distance the spectators, the North Iowa Events Center will be the location for the show. Mason City’s city administrator Aaron Burnett says the location will require larger shells and necessary funding has been difficult for the club because normal fundraising efforts were cancelled due to COVID-19. The Mason City council is being asked to contribute $5000 toward the event. Clear Lake is partnering with the Exchange Club to financially support the fairgrounds event, with the Clear Lake council being asked to contribute $2500. Exchange Club officials tell KGLO News that the event is still tentative because of details, including health department guidelines, needing to be finalized. The agenda items are on the council agendas this week since both councils aren’t scheduled to meet again until after Independence Day.last_img read more

Corn and soybean crops continue making progress

first_imgDES MOINES — The development of the corn and soybean crops continues to be ahead of past years.The USDA crop report says 35% of the corn is at or beyond the silking stage of development– which is eight days ahead of last year and two days ahead of the five-year average.The report says 58% of the soybeans are blooming, which is two weeks ahead of last year and two days ahead of the five-year average. Around ten percent of the beans have set pods, which is also two weeks ahead of last year.Both the corn and bean crops each are rated 83% in good to excellent condition.last_img read more

Sudan-born Aussie forward Mathiang signs with Hornets

first_imgWashington, United States | AFP | Sudan-born Australian forward Mangok Mathiang and American guard Marcus Paige signed NBA contracts Wednesday with the Charlotte Hornets.Mathiang lived in Melbourne for several years before moving to the United States, where he played four seasons for the University of Louisville and serving as team captain for last season’s 25-9 squad.With the Cardinals, he averaged 4.8 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.3 blocked shots a game. As a senior, he averaged 7.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shots He played for the Hornets in the Orlando Pro Summer League tournament, averaging 4.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.8 offensive rebounds in five games.Paige, who helped North Carolina to the US college finals in four seasons there, was a 2016 second-round NBA Draft pick by Brooklyn whose rights were traded to Utah. He spent most of last season on a developmental league roster.Mathiang and Paige were the first Hornets to sign new two-way contracts that allow NBA clubs to keep rights for two players in addition to the 15-man regular-season roster.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

UEFA hold off on VAR use in Champions League amid ‘confusion’

first_imgVideo Assistant Referee confirming a goal in match using VAR systemBratislava, Slovakia | AFP | UEFA will not introduce Video Assistant Referees (VAR) for next season’s Champions League because of ongoing “confusion” surrounding its use, Aleksander Ceferin, the president of European football’s governing body, said on Monday.“Nobody knows exactly how it works yet. There is still a lot of confusion,” Ceferin said at UEFA’s Congress in the Slovakian capital Bratislava as he confirmed it would not be introduced for next season’s Champions League.VAR has been used this season in various club competitions, including the German Bundesliga and Italy’s Serie A.It looks set to be used at the World Cup in Russia in June and July, with the International Football Association Board (IFAB) set to confirm that decision on March 3.FIFA president Gianni Infantino recently said he was “confident and positive” about VAR being introduced.“I am not at all against it, but it needs to be better explained when it is being used. We will see at the World Cup,” added Ceferin.“It could be a good project, useful for football, but we must not rush to take such decisions.” VAR can only be used for four game-changing situations: after a goal, penalty decisions, after a straight red card or in cases of mistaken identity.However, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge disagrees with UEFA’s decision.“If I’m honest, I regret that,” said the Bayern boss.“I’ve found in the Bundesliga that the refereeing decisions that are being made are far more reliable and are fairer than what you’ve often experienced in the past.“Unfortunately, that’s how things are for now, but I am convinced that eventually the video refs will also enter the Champions League.“The referees are thereby supported in a positive way. It makes the game better, more reliable and fairer.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Florida prison inmates will make face masks for their correctional officers

first_imgThe Florida Department of Corrections (FDC) announced that Florida inmates will be making cloth face masks for correctional officers as the number of inmates with COVID-19 continues to go up.Florida Department of Corrections (FDC) and Prison Rehabilitative Industries and Diversified Enterprises (PRIDE) will be making cloth face masks using the CDC’s templates.“It’s critical we take all precautions necessary to minimize the potential risk to the inmate population and staff charged with their care and custody,” FDC Secretary Mark Inch said.The release says the masks will first be distributed to correctional officers, probation officers and staff in high-risk geographic areas of the state. After that the masks will go to institutions which have large at-risk inmate populations.Prisons are currently a hotspot for coronavirus infections due to the overcrowded living conditions.last_img read more

Jacksonville beaches and parks reopened

first_imgMayor Lenny Curry of Jacksonville has announced that he will be reopening beaches and parks to the public for essential use beginning at 5:00 pm on Friday.The announcement was made one day after President Trump laid out his three-phase plan to reopen to the country, but said that city officials would ultimately decide when they will reopen their city.“This can be the beginning of the pathway back to normal life,” Curry said. “Please respect and follow these limitations. Stay within the guidelines for your safety as well as for the safety of your neighbors.”While the beaches and parks will be reopened, they will only be open during certain times.  Those times are 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. each day.Visitors will be able to walk, fish, bike, swim, and walk their dog as long as they maintain an appropriate social distance.The report also stated that those who choose to enter the water, are doing so at their own risk.last_img read more

First “The Accuser” book, now Netflix features Big Dan’s Rape Trials

first_imgOver the last few years, with the #MeToo movement, Americans have become more aware of the pervasiveness of sexual abuse and how survivors who go public are re-victimized. Now, Netflix is paying attention to the gang rape trials of Cheryl Araujo’s attackers, as were crystallized in the 2019 true crimes book, The Accuser, by Karen Curtis. Araujo’s rape trials were the first of their kind to be televised, and became international news. Now, the story has been re-examined in Netflix’s true crime anthology.Cheryl Araujo was the victim of one of the most publicized sexual assaults of the 1980s. An attorney for one of the accused men insisted Araujo had consented, and that “one thing led to another.” Defense lawyer Edward Harrington asked her, “If you’re living with a man, what are you doing running around the streets getting raped?”In 1983, Cheryl Araujo was a 21-year-old mother of two living in her hometown of New Bedford, Massachusetts. On March 6th, she went into Big Dan’s Tavern to buy cigarettes from a dispenser inside the bar. After chatting with a waitress and ordering a drink, Araujo was attempting to leave the bar when a man grabbed her from behind. She was gang raped on the bar’s pool table while others looked on. One man admitted during the trial that he shouted, “Go for it! Go for it!” during the assault. After more than two hours, Araujo managed to escape, and ran half naked into the street where she flagged down a car carrying three three men, including brothers Dan and Michael O’Neill.Later that month, four men, John Cordeiro, Daniel Silva, and Victor Raposo, Joseph Vieira were charged with assaulting Araujo. Two others who were in the bar that night, Jose Medeiros and Virgilio Medeiros (who aren’t related) were charged with being accessories to the assault. They were accused of cheering the rape and preventing the bartender from intervening. The four accused of assaulting Araujo were convicted at trial in March 1984 and sentenced to serve between 6 and 12 years in prison. The Medeiros were acquitted.In 2020 the Araujo case was featured as an episode of the Netflix documentary series produced by George Clooney Trial by Media; the episode “Big Dan’s” explores the effect that the broadcasting of the trial had on Araujo, the New Bedford community, and American society at large. News reports of the assault brought national attention to the Massachusetts city. The assailants, like 60 percent of New Bedford’s population, were Portuguese-American, and some of the coverage took on xenophobic overtones, blaming Portuguese community as a whole for the crime. Hustler magazine ran a fake postcard featuring a naked woman on a pool table with the caption, “Greetings from New Bedford, Massachusetts, the Portuguese Gang-Rape Capital of America.”New Bedford rallied against the slurs targeting their community, but some turned to attacking the victim and supporting the accused rapists. Community members raised around $20,000, and bailed four of the men out of prison. Between 7,000 and 10,000 people later marched in protest of the convictions. One listener called into a local radio show to declare that Aruja was “dead meat.” Another woman told the local news that she “ should get punished, too. If they raped her, she was the aggravator. I’m sorry to say it but I think it was her.”Over 16,000 people signed petitions requesting leniency for the convicted men. After the trial, both Araujo and her sister moved to Miami due to the harassment they received. Even the O’Neills, who helped Araujo in the aftermath of the assault, received death threats for aiding the victim and testifying for the prosecution. None of Araujo’s assailants served more than six and a half years in prison.The attack inspired the 1988 film The Accused. Jodie Foster played a character based on Araujo, and won the Best Actress Academy Award for her portrayal. By then, the real Cheryl Araujo had already died. In December 1986, at the age of 25, Araujo crashed her car on a South Miami road and died while her daughters, Jessica and Kerri survived with minor injuries. Toxicology showed Araujo was drunk at the time of the crash. She had struggled with alcoholism in the years after the rape, and spent more than six months of the year before her death in rehab. Also, as first reported in The Accuser, Cheryl’s daughter Kerri reported to the FHP who documented it in their report (featured in the book) that “a white van ran mommy off the road.”In 1984, the Senate held a hearing examining the effects of allowing the New Bedford trial to be aired on television. “Rare is the woman who can endure both the trauma of rape,” said then-Bristol County, Massachusetts district attorney Ronald Pina, “and the trauma of a highly publicized trial.”The Netflix Big Dan’s docuseries did make reference that Cheryl had trouble coping after the rapes and living in South Florida, they also reported that she had gone to secretarial school. However, they did not report that at the time of the accident, Cheryl was in rehab also that she had a book and movie deal that was brokered by a Miami Attorney. Hollywood, especially George Clooney who produced the Netflix series, don’t want you to know about her movie deal. It’s all in the book, The Accuser.Listen to Karen Curtis’ Full Rigor podcast featuring audio from interview she exclusively conducted with Araujo’s mother Arlene and her two daughters here.Netflix “Trial by Media” the truth behind the crimes. In this true crime docuseries, some of the most dramatic trials of all time are examined with an emphasis on how the media may have impacted verdicts.Order Karen Curtis’ The Accuser book here.last_img read more