first_imgDelon Henry, called “Nasty Man”, on Wednesday denied he was responsible for the September 29, 2015 killing of footballer Dexter Griffith, who was shot near his mother’s East Ruimveldt, Georgetown home. Thirteen witnesses are set to testify before the Judge Sandil Kissoon and jury, at the Demerara High Court; while Henry of Houston, East Bank Demerara, is being represented by Attorney Adrian Thompson.Delon Henry was arraigned at the High Court on WednesdayAt Wednesday’s hearing, the deceased man’s mother, Lavern Griffith, was first to testify and recalled running to the Warlock area – some distance from her home – where she and other relatives saw the footballer lying in a drain. She said they rushed him to hospital where doctors later informed that her son had died.Griffith’s mother told the court that her son was living at Beterverwagting, East Coast Demerara, and would come to her home frequently to take his daughter to and from school. She noted that he also worked as a mason during the day. On that fateful evening, she noted that her son was playing football outside her home and noted that a man she knew only as “Gun-butt” came up on a white motorcycle shouting for “Delon” before he retreated.Deceased footballer, Dexter GriffithGriffith, who broke down in tears at various intervals, said Dexter came into her house after 17:30h and took a bath; thereafter someone called for him and he went down the street after dressing. The emotional woman recounted that sometime after she heard the sounds of “by-by-by” which sounded like gunshots.It was then that several persons started running but she didn’t see her son among the crowd. She said she told the mother of Dexter’s children to go with her and look for him and after going to the road corner, they saw him in the drain. At this point in her testimony, Griffith was given tissue to wipe away her tears. She and other relatives later identified his body at the Georgetown Public Hospital.Police Corporal Rawle Bacchus testified to witnessing the post-mortem examination conducted by Government Pathologist, Dr Nehaul Singh and uplifting the said report. According to information, Griffith on the day in question, at the said location at about 19:30h, was sitting on a chair at Genip Street, Ruimveldt when the accused walked towards him and fired several shots in his direction, fatally injuring him in the process.After being shot, Griffith reportedly managed to stand and walked a short distance in an attempt to escape from Henry but eventually fell unconscious to the ground, while his assailant escaped. Public spirited persons near the scene of the crime eventually took him to a city hospital where he was later pronounced dead on arrival.Prosecutors Lisa Cave and Orinthia Schmidt are prosecuting the State’s case. The matter continues before Justice Kissoon tomorrow. (Shemuel Fanfair)last_img

“Nasty Man” denies gunning down footballer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *