1 Jetro Willems Manchester United and Liverpool are keeping track of PSV Eindhoven defender Jetro Willems, according to reports in Holland.Willems, who is currently sidelined with a knee injury, has stalled on signing a new contract with the Dutch side and could leave in a cut-price deal next summer.According to Dutch outlet Eindhovens Dagblad, the 21-year-old will only consider penning a new deal when he returns to action, but may take the opportunity to jump ship to the Premier League.United could even make a swoop for Willems in January after losing Luke Shaw to a broken leg earlier this week.Willems joined PSV in 2011 and became the youngest-ever international player to play at a European Championship in 2012.
Chelsea and Manchester United remain in the race to sign PSG forward Ezequiel Lavezzi after he declined a money-spinning move to China.The Argentine is out of contract in the summer and both English clubs, as well as Inter Milan and Barcelona, retain a strong interest in signing him when he becomes a free agent.But Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua made an audacious attempt to gazump all of the European super powers with a late offer to tempt him to the far east.It has been reported that they were willing to pay the 30-year-old around £150,000-a-week, but Lavezzi has turned it down as he hopes to stay in Europe.Both Manchester United and Chelsea are free to talk to the striker if they wish to tie him down to a pre-contract agreement before June. 1 Ezequiel Lavezzi
Inter Milan are trying to pull out of signing Manchester City striker Stevan Jovetic on a permanent basis, according to reports in Italy.The 26-year-old moved to the San Siro from the Etihad last summer on an 18-month loan deal.That transfer contained an obligation for Inter to sign Jovetic for £12m once the loan was complete in December 2016.However, according to Tuttosport, Inter are now trying to get out of that original agreement.The Italian club have contacted Manchester City regarding the matter and talks are expected to take place over the coming weeks. Stevan Jovetic 1
After being wounded in Korea in 1953, Cpl. Salas’ records, along with those of many other soldiers, were lost in a fire at a Colorado hospital, said Helen Salas. The lost records prevented Cpl. Salas from being awarded the medals he’d earned in the war, she said. “He’s always wanted all his medals, and he could never get them,” said Helen Salas. Cipriano Salas’ granddaughter, Jessica Ruiz, said she has been trying to get the medals for her grandfather for two years. It was only after her quest led her to contact the local congresswoman that the longtime dream became a reality, Ruiz said. Ruiz said she was put in contact with Carlos Lopez, the Military and Veterans Liaison with Napolitano’s office, and within two months, Lopez and Napolitano arrived at the Salas home to deliver the medals. “He did everything for us immediately,” she added. The Salas family received notification that the medals would finally be presented on Nov. 14, which is also Helen Salas’ birthday, said Ruiz. “That was my grandpa’s birthday present for her,” she said. “Carlos, thank you so much,” said Ruiz at the presentation ceremony. “You are a blessing to our family.” The Purple Heart, signifying war wounds, was especially important to her husband, Helen Salas said. “I remember dad being a strong, quiet person who didn’t say much, but when he spoke, you listened,” said Bobby Salas. He added that he knew his father would be very pleased, in his own reserved way, to finally receive the medals he earned. “He’d be so happy,” Helen Salas added. Cpl. Salas died in 1993 of a heart attack that was the result of injuries he received in a traffic accident in La Puente in 1976, family members said. The accident left him a quadriplegic, and he was in and out of the hospital until his death, said Ruiz. Helen Salas said her husband’s injuries never stopped him from his passion, watching his children play sports. “That was his life,” said Helen Salas, “chasing the boys around.” Cpl. Salas is survived by four children, seven grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren, said Ruiz. “I miss him a lot,” Helen Salas said. “He’s still with us,” Ruiz added. “He’s always with us.” firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2718160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LA PUENTE – Fourteen years after his death, and 54 years after being shot in the back by machine gun fire and stabbed in the leg by an enemy bayonet, Army Cpl. Cipriano Salas’ family was presented with the medals he earned fighting in the Korean War. Rep. Grace Napolitano, D-Santa Fe Springs, made the presentation Monday at the La Puente home of Cipriano Salas’ widow, Helen Salas. The Salas family received Cipriano Salas’ National Defense Medal, three Bronze Stars, a United Nations Service Medal, a Combat Infantryman’s Badge, and a Purple Heart. “I’m just glad that we’re able to bring a little honor to your husband’s service,” said Napolitano as she presented the family with the medals.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsIf approved, the rules would not supersede the tougher truck-emissions regulations adopted last month for the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles. “We set the minimums, and local communities can go further, faster,” Nichols said. “There’s (legal) provisions that allow local communities to go faster.” The commissions governing the Long Beach and Los Angeles harbors have approved a plan that requires all trucks to meet 2007 emission standards by 2012. The state’s proposed rules give haulers until 2014 to meet emissions standards. But they also apply the regulation to California’s largest rail yards, which are magnets for diesel trucks serving port marine terminals. Health studies show that communities near busy ports and rail yards suffer from disproportionately high asthma and heart-disease rates. LONG BEACH – Diesel pollution emitted by big-rig trucks and ships at California’s busiest ports would be cut 75 percent by 2014 under new regulations announced Wednesday by state air-quality officials. The regulations, expected to be approved Friday by the California Air Resources Board, would phase out thousands of older, smog-producing trucks that serve the state’s 14 busiest seaports, as well as 11 rail yards. Cargo and cruise ships calling at ports from Long Beach to Oakland would have to reduce smog-forming emissions and diesel particulate matter 50 percent by 2014, and 80 percent by 2020. “Residents from San Pedro to Oakland will breathe easier as a result of our aggressive actions to clean up diesel emissions from ports throughout the state,” Mary Nichols, who chairs the board, said at a news conference in Long Beach. Diesel soot has also been linked to increased risk for lung and throat cancer. “This is the No. 1 one health challenge that Southern California faces,” said Long Beach Mayor Bob Foster. Officials estimate that it will cost the trucking industry $3billion to replace or retrofit aging tractor-trailers, and they plan to offer several hundred million dollars in bonds and grants to ease the transition. On ship emissions, the new rules require container ships, cruise ships and refrigerated cargo ships, while docked in port, to turn off their diesel-burning auxiliary engines and use cleaner alternative power sources such as electricity. email@example.com 562-499-1466160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Letterkenny is to examine new ways of attracting businesses to the town in a bid to create jobs and develop a number of long-term vacant properties.The issue was raised at last night’s meeting of the Town Council during which a call was made to incentivise new start-up businesses.Cllr Dessie Lakrin said a number of initiatives could be considered including the reduction of rates for new companies. “I’m not talking about sandwich bars or that as much as they are creating their own employment.“I am talking about emerging businesses who need to be developed as they try to get off the ground.“They should not be in a position where they have to pay €10,000 or whatever in rates straight off. We should introduce a sliding fee for them,” he said.Ends LETTERKENNY TO LAUNCH SCHEME TO FILL VACANT BUSINESS PROPERTIES was last modified: April 12th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A POLITICIAN in the North has accused a Unionist Minister of snubbing a cross-Border ferry service – whilst pouring millions into other ferry routes.The Department of Regional Development dishes out the cash to ferry services in Strangford Lough in Co Down and for a link to Rathlin Island.But it doesn’t give a single penny to the link between Magilligan in Co Derry to Greencastle in Co Donegal. Sinn Féin MLA Cathal Ó hOisín has called on the Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy to provide assistance to the Magilligan/Greencastle ferry.Mr Ó hOisín said last night: “The Magilligan/Greencastle ferry is an essential product for the enhancement of tourism and infrastructure in the North West.“It provides a similar service to the Strangford and Rathlin Island ferries, however the difference is that there are significant levels of subvention provided by government to these two ferry services.“The current level of expenditure sees the Strangford ferry be granted £2.2m per annum, the Rathlin Island ferry being granted £600,000 per annum while the Magilligan ferry receives nothing from DRD. “The Magilligan / Greencastle ferry is only maintained by a £30,000 investment by both Limavady and Donegal County Councils.“This ferry service is a valuable link for both those visiting this area and local people cutting travel times and also providing local employment opportunities and boosting local businesses.“At the moment it is only able to operate seasonally and I would call on the Regional Development minister to provide a subvention, similar to the other two ferry services to ensure that this service can expand and continue into the future.”This year’s ferry service between Donegal and Derry ended on October 7th due to lack of funding. ANGER AT UNIONIST MINISTER’S MONEY SNUB TO GREENCASTLE FERRY was last modified: October 17th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ANGER AT UNIONIST MINISTER’S MONEY SNUB TO GREENCASTLE FERRY
Liverpool chief executive officer Ian Ayre will step down in 2017, it has been announced.When he finally leaves Anfield, Ayre will have had several roles at the club in his decade with his hometown side.After joining as a commercial director, the 52-year-old then move to a role as managing director in March 2011 where he gained more power.Ayre has since played a major role in most transfer deals but some of these switches have gone better than others.Click the right arrow above to see which five deals we believe are his best at the club… 5 5 5 4. Jordon Ibe – £500,000 (from Wycombe Wanderers) – This transfer is turning out to be value for money as he makes his mark on the Liverpool first-team. His goal at the Britannia Stadium in January was vital as the Reds went on to beat Stoke City on penalties to reach the Capital One Cup final. Jurgen Klopp appears to rate the youngster so Ibe could be a fixture of the team for seasons to come. 5. James Milner – Free transfer from Manchester City – Click the right arrow above for Ian Ayre’s best transfers… – Alright, his wages are a bit pricey but the England midfielder has hit the ground running at Anfield since his move from Manchester City and offered up solid performances and key goals, especially his winning strike against Augsburg in the Europa League last 32. 3. Daniel Sturridge – £12million (from Chelsea) – Right now, most comments surrounding the English striker centre on his fitness, or lack thereof. It shouldnt be forgotten that in first season and a half he hit 35 goals in 49 games and almost won them the Premier League title. On form, hes still one of the best finishers in the country, he just needs to make sure hes fully fit. 5 2. Emre Can – £9.75million (from Bayer Leverkusen) – The signing of the German, in retrospect, was a bit of a risk given he had only played one full season of Bundesliga football with Bayer Leverkusen. Can has been a huge success though. Last season in a back-three he helped to hold a dodgy defence together and this season has, despite the odd loss of form, played well in midfield for Jurgen Klopp. 5 1. Philippe Coutinho £8.5million (from Inter Milan) – The Brazilian star joined from Inter Milan with plenty of potential and the Little Magician has gone a long way to realising it with the Reds. His skill and cunning, along with his excellent dribbling make his a tricky opponent, but his shooting could do with some work if he wants to improve his goal tally and his effectiveness. He was well worth the money and could go on to be an absolute bargain when everything is said and done.
Burke made a motion at Tuesday’s Board of Supervisors meeting asking the county’s director of animal care and control to report the findings of an investigation into Zephyr’s death at the board’s Jan. 8 meeting. “Whatever comes back is probably going to be lip service to the Board of Supervisors,” Olshan said. “I don’t have faith, based on my experience with them, that anything positive is going to come out of this.” firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champThe dog had become sick on Nov. 5, and did not respond to subsequent treatment, according to the shelter. On Nov. 27, the dog took a turn for the worse and died of pneumonia before it could be adopted out. Burke’s office has received numerous letters complaining about Zephyr’s treatment, and Burke herself visited the shelter last week to examine the situation. “I’m a dog lover and a cat lover, and you can be sure I’ll never let a dog be mistreated,” Burke said Tuesday. “I did go in and check the temperature, and the temperature was around 70. But you just never know what the situation is.” The activists say that the heating system has been repaired since Zephyr’s death, and dogs are now receiving blankets. They also claim that dogs do not receive adequate medical care at the facility. The shelter is scheduled to receive more than $1million in upgrades, much of which is expected to cover the cost of a new ward for medical treatment and surgery. Under pressure from animal welfare activists, county Supervisor Yvonne Brathwaite Burke asked for an investigation Tuesday into the death of a puppy at the Carson animal shelter. The 10-month-old dog, named Zephyr, died Dec. 1 after an illness. Spurred by an account from an anonymous volunteer at the shelter, numerous activists have charged that the dog was left out in the cold without blankets, contributing to its death. “The county wasn’t providing her emergency care, which she should have gotten,” said Ryan Olshan, one of the activists who has protested the dog’s treatment. “It’s most likely that the cold, from her being outside, contributed to her death.” The shelter staff issued a statement on the death Dec. 4, disputing some of the activists’ claims. According to the shelter, Zephyr was provided indoor shelter space, a bed and a blanket.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonBANKS: Banks and financial markets will be closed Tuesday. TRASH: Trash pickup will be delayed a day in Los Angeles and Glendale after Tuesday. Pickup will be on a regular schedule in Burbank. STORES: Some supermarkets may be open for limited hours today and Tuesday. Malls will be open. GOVERNMENT: Federal, state, county and city offices, courts, libraries and animal shelters will be closed Tuesday. Some city offices may close early today. MAIL: The U.S. Postal Service will not deliver mail Tuesday. SCHOOLS: Schools will be closed. TRANSIT: Buses and subway services in Los Angeles will run on a Sunday schedule on Tuesday, as will Santa Clarita Transit buses. Antelope Valley and Ventura County Dial-a-Route buses will not run on Tuesday. Metrolink trains will not run, except for a special schedule of the Antelope Valley Line, on Tuesday.