Simmons fails again in Heat lossBRISBANE, Australia (CMC):West Indies opener Lendl Simmons failed to score for the third time in four outings as his Brisbane Heat slid to an eight-wicket defeat to Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash here yesterday.Sent in at the Gabba, Heat rallied to 175 for six from their 20 overs, with opener Jimmy Peirson top-scoring with 51 from 36 balls and Nathan Reardon hitting an unbeaten 40 from 32 deliveries.The right-handed Simmons faced two balls before perishing in the second over leg before wicket to seamer Michael Neser with seven runs on the board.English leg-spinner Adil Rashid was brilliant, taking two for 17 from his four overs.In reply, Strikers raced to their target in the penultimate over with opener Tim Ludeman getting 57 not out off 49 balls; Mahela Jayawardene stroking 53 of 30 balls; and Travis Head, 50 off 25 balls.Bonners shines before rain takes overBASSETERRE, St Kitts (CMC):Jamaican Nkrumah Bonner stroked an entertaining half-century, but rain forced the abandonment of the Leeward Islands Hurricanes’ opening game of the Regional Super50 after only 38 overs at Warner Park here Thursday.Opting to bat first in the day/night encounter against Combined Campuses and Colleges Marooners, Hurricanes had reached 187 for five when the adverse weather ended the game prematurely.Both teams were awarded two points.In the time available, Bonner hammered 65 off 69 deliveries with six fours, while opener Shane Jeffers hit 47 and left-handed partner Chesney Hughes, 28.Messi set to get5th FIFA best player prizeGENEVA (AP):Lionel Messi is favoured to win the FIFA Ballon d’Or on Monday, ending Cristiano Ronaldo’s two-year hold on football’s top individual prize.Messi already has a 4-3 lead in their career duel for the annual FIFA prize but has recently been eclipsed by his great rival.That changed in 2015 when Messi inspired Barcelona to regain the Champions League title among five major trophies to none for Real Madrid, despite Ronaldo’s relentless goalscoring pace.Barcelona’s dominance also helped Brazil star Neymar earn a place on the three-man shortlist for the first time.The Catalan club can sweep the men’s honours with Luis Enrique heading the coaches’ shortlist after becoming European champion and winning the Spanish league and cup, the European Super Cup, and the Club World Cup.Luis Su·rezsuspendedBARCELONA, Spain (AP):Barcelona striker Luis Su·rez was suspended yesterday for two Copa del Rey matches for insulting rival players.The referee’s report for the heated match at Camp Nou that ended 4-1 for Barcelona on Wednesday said Su·rez insulted Espanyol players in the tunnel after the match.Referee Juan Martinez Munuera’s report states that Su·rez told Espanyol’s players: “I am waiting for you. Come here. You are trash.”The ban will rule the Uruguay striker out of the return leg set for next week at Espanyol’s stadium and possibly the first leg of the quarter-finals.
MOST READ Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans “It’s going to be a good race. I’m just enjoying these stuff,” said Mendez.Kim Kilgroe. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netKilgroe, meanwhile, wants nothing but to improve her standing after finishing 10th in the female elite division last year.“I just want to come away from this race a little faster, a little fitter and just give it everything I have,” she said.The Fil-Am beauty made her professional debut last year in Cebu, finishing the exhausting swim-bike-run course in 4:51:10.Given another crack at Ironman 70.3, Kilgroe wants to represent the country loud and proud against fancied counterparts in the race.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Mauricio Mendez. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netLAPU-LAPU CITY — Heads are sure to turn when Mauricio Mendez and Kim Kilgroe pass by.And one couldn’t be blamed, especially with their stunning looks.ADVERTISEMENT Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ “I’m feeling good,” said the 27-year-old. “I’m excited to be back here racing with amazing athletes. I’m grateful to be with these kind of caliber athletes in racing, and I’m proud to represent my heritage. It’s an exciting weekend for me and I’m looking forward to it.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH bet Torres chokes out Ishige for debut win in ONE But more than their pretty face, both Mendez and Kilgroe are killer triathletes and they are raring to make their mark in their respective fields in the 2017 Cobra Energy Drink Ironman 70.3 Philippines on Sunday here.Shifting from the grueling Xterra races to the equally endurance-testing Ironman 70.3, Mendez believes that there won’t be much of an adjustment for him as he joins a loaded field in the Cebu tilt.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’“I’ve been doing triathlon since I was 10 years old and I grew up doing this,” said the 2016 Xterra world champion. “There’s just excitement and motivation coming from it. It’s my true passion. What I love the most is combining all those kinds of things, the skills in off-roads and testing my endurance. It’s great.”But the 21-year-old Mexican runner couldn’t hide his excitement as he tests his mettle against some of the world’s best. McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube LATEST STORIES View comments
Visitors can now enjoy their holidays in new tourist locations in Kerala. The state tourism has identified 17 more locations to be developed into tourist spots. The upcoming locations for tourism are in addition to the existing 52 that are being developed under the Kerala Destination Scheme. These include Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Ernakulam, and Malappuram.All the tourist destinations in the state will also practise Responsible Tourism. “Kerala has been acclaimed by UNWTO for its initiative in Responsible Tourism. This will not only attract more of international chains to the state but will also benefit the local communities,” said Nandakumar K P, Deputy Director, Kerala Tourism, at a promotional event held on July 26, at the Leela Ambience in Gurgaon. The event, embellished with cultural performances and authentic Kerala cuisine, aimed at renewing relationships with people from the trade fraternity while getting more of them onboard.The audience at the event were also treated with exotic audio-visual films on the state’s tourist attractions along with their new campaign advertisement on the famous backwaters.The historic ‘God’s Own Country’ positioning has already made the state a global brand. In its bid to attract more tourists, Kerala is launching a new brand campaign or what Nandakumar called “rebranding or recolouring of the brand to make products more attractive and to give new experiences.”Among the other new projects that the tourism department has undertaken are Project Muziris to revive culture and heritage tourism and the Spice Route Revival Project that has received a boost with the UNWTO pledging support to the venture.Kerala is looking at doubling the foreign tourist arrivals to the state in the next five years, announced the government. It has taken a paradigm shift to do something in the long-term. “We already have 15 lakh people employed in the tourism sector and in another five years, we are targeting to get around 5 lakh more. We are also adding more classified rooms and homestays,” concluded Nandakumar.
A whole lot of bloodshed, backstabbing and blazing cityscapes could have been avoided had the characters from Game Of Thrones known that the easiest way to land the Iron Throne was to bid on it in an auction. Memorabilia slingers Profiles In History have a replica throne up for bids starting later next month.Commissioned by HBO for the Game Of Thrones: The Epic Fan Experience held in New York back in 2014, the event saw Thrones author George RR Martin and members of the cast presenting this replica to the winner of a contest. Apparently they’ve either decided to put it up for auction or they’re slowly dying horribly, blood gurgling from their slashed neck and, without an actual heir to the thing, the throne has passed to the auction house.While the throne itself rarely seems like a comfortable seat and let’s be honest, your life will be under constant threat it does come with the title of King or Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men. Which is nice. Allegedly forged from the swords surrendered to Aegon the Conquerer, the first of the Targaryen kings. And because he was a Targaryen, he used a dragon to do it, the bloomin’ show-off.Details of the auction, which also includes a painting of characters by artists Sanjulian, commissioned for the 2013 SWSW exhibition about the show, will be on the Profiles In History site shortly, and the bidding will start on 27 June. Please note: only the ruling monarch and their hand may sit on the throne.