Equities drive 6% first-half return at Denmark’s LD

first_imgLD, which manages a non-contributory scheme for Danes based on cost-of-living allowances for workers granted in 1980, said total assets grew to DKK56bn, up DKK1.6bn from the end of December last year.It said this was a level not seen since 2007. Danish pension fund LD has reported an overall return for January to June of DKK3bn (€402m), corresponding to a 5.7% return.This compares to 5% for the same period last year.In its interim report, LD said equities generated 16.2%, while combined corporate bond and sovereign bond portfolios returned 0.7%.Its main balanced fund, LD Vælger, which is used by 90.9% of scheme members, returned 4.9% in the six-month period, while the equities fund produced 26.7%.last_img read more

TABLE TENNIS:Commey and Kwabie are 2014 Top 8 Champions

first_imgNew sensation Emmanuel Commey from Swalaba in Accra Central, proved to be a rising star ready to wear a crown when at his third consecutive finals at a National Table Tennis Open, defied all odds to beat the experienced reigning champion, Derek Abrefa, to become the new Ghana Top 8 winner for 2014. The competition, which is the second edition sponsored by Stanbic Bank took place at the rlg / Hathiamami Sports Hall and it attracted the best eight players from both male and female categories. All the best players in Ghana were represented and when the tables were set for the last four finalists in the male division,  it was Emmanel Commey who used his youthful exuberance and stamina to stop the all-conquering Derek Abrefa at the finals.Felix Lartey placed third, whilst high spirited powerful back hander, Jacob, from the Ghana Prisons was fourth. The Sports Hall was full of tension and excitement for the fans who watched the finals. Commey’s supporters who came in their numbers to watch the game were never disappointed as their player was fantastic on the day. They joined him to pose for the cameras while celebrating with him. Samuel Akayide, one of the enterprising young players could have made it to the first four if he had beaten his opponent at the Quarter final stage Crafty Cynthia Kwabie from the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS), defeated improving Linda Annor in the ladies’ final to become the second winner of the Top 8 Female category after Celya Baah Danso, who though was hit with fever, managed to place fourth after she was beaten by strong hitting Bernice Borquaye for the third placed match. Beatrice Gyasi, a former champion who placed sixth, told yours truly she will be back in grand style as she hopes to qualify for the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games. She said this is the first event to kick start the season and she wants to study the younger players so as to out-do them in subsequent competitions. Coach Owusu Ansah, the national chief coach, expressed his satisfaction with the standard of the game in Ghana and said the game has become popular with new young boys and girls trying to challenge the old faces.He noted that series of tournaments would be organized before the Commonwealth Games in Scotland to prepare and keep the national players in shape. Mawuko Afadzinu PRO / Communications Manager of Stanbic Bank, sponsors of the tournament, said the game of Table Tennis must be able to reward the nation with medals from international competitions and is glad that the Black Loopers were able to participate and win a competition in Benin. However, he noted that, it has in a way boosted the morale and confidence of the players who represented Ghana. He advised the players to keep on training and step up their efforts to play like the top international stars.All the participants were presented with cash of Gh¢ 200.00 each, in addition to their attractive prizes.Meanwhile, the Amoah Tennis Series for young players has been scheduled for March 8 at the Hathiramani Sports Hall. Eric Amoah, former national champion who wants to support young Table Tennis players, has appealed to companies and organisations who want Ghanaian youth to develop through sports to support the event.last_img read more

Russia builds inside-out arena for World Cup

first_img0Shares0000The Yekaterinburg Arena football stadium being renovated for the 2018 World Cup including two temporary stands on empty plots of land at each goal end of the stadium’s facade © AFP/File / Mladen ANTONOVMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Nov 28 – Football fans visiting Yekaterinburg in the Russian Urals for the 2018 World Cup are going to find out first hand what it feels to be on the outside looking.Because the area was originally too small to fit FIFA rules, officials built two temporary stands on empty plots of land nextdoor. Openings at each goal end of the stadium’s facade offer a remote view of the pitch but no protection from the sun or rain.And those unlucky enough to only get tickets for the extensions’ upper-most rows will stare out directly at the outer edge of the refurbished Yekaterinburg Arena’s circular roof.The UK’s perplexed Guardian newspaper suggested the entire ensemble might have come from “outer space” while USA Today screamed that it “couldn’t look any scarier”.All of which has left the construction company behind the 42-metre-tall (138-foot-tall) extensions sounding somewhat bemused.Two temporary stands on land next to the Yekaterinburg Arena football stadium for the 2018 World Cup will allow fans to peer through the open facade at each goal end but with no protection from sun or rain © AFP/File / Mladen ANTONOV“This is a typical solution for sport facilities built for major international competitions,” Sinara-Development Director General Timur Ufimtsev told AFP.“In addition, you can see a beautiful panoramic view of Yekaterinburg itself since the stadium is in a central part of the city.”He added that the whole seating section is protected by “tall railings” to make sure no one falls off.The additions will make Yekaterinburg Arena into a 35,000-seater that will shrink back down in size to 23,000 once the stands are dismantled when all the tourists go home.– Cultural heritage site –The world media’s sceptical gaze fell on the 60-year-old stadium once it was selected as the eastern-most venue of the 12 hosting the marquee June 14-July 15 event.The Kremlin wanted to show off Russia’s cultural diversity and settled on Yekaterinburg — the mining capital of the tsars in which the late president Boris Yeltsin built his career.The unassuming industrial home to almost 1.5 million people has a team that played middling football in the Soviet era and most recently won promotion to the Russian Premier League in 2013.It is safe to say that its 27,000-seat stadium suited the needs of a club that has gone through many incarnations and is currently called simply Ural.Yet its size fell just short of FIFA’s carefully spelled out “minimum capacities of 30,000” requirement for stadiums hosting group stage World Cup matches.Four were scheduled for Yekaterinburg and Russia had a problem.Sinara-Development said it also could not simply rebuild the entire arena because it was listed as a cultural heritage site that needed to be preserved in its original form.Football’s world governing body not only agreed but applauded the unique way Yekaterinburg worked its way out of a potential mess.Workers climb on the metal structure of the Yekaterinburg Arena where some fans visiting for the 2018 World Cup are going to get an unusual view of the game © AFP/File / Mladen ANTONOV“Temporary seats are being installed in order to ensure that the renovation work would conserve the historical facade of the stadium and that maintenance costs are reduced after the World Cup,” a FIFA spokesman told AFP.The old stadium’s entrance featured six columns topped by sculptures of communist factory workers and athletes.These will stay in place for posterity’s sake.The FIFA spokesman also brushed aside any safety concerns.“Inspection visits and detailed reports have shown that the temporary seats in the Yekaterinburg Arena fully comply with all safety and security requirements,” he said.Ufimtsev said the stadium was “90 percent ready” and would be completed by the end of the year.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Duo behind award-winning Harry’s Restaurants to feature in RTE series

first_imgDonegal men Donal Doherty and Derek Creagh are set to showcase the secrets to the success of Harry’s Shack on Donal Skehan’s ‘Meals in Minutes’ on RTE One next week.Owner Donal Doherty and head chef Derek Creagh will be talking all things fish and fresh as celebrity chef Donal Skehan visits them at Harry’s Shack at Portstewart. A critics’ favourite, the Shack appeared on the list of Sunday Times Top 100 Restaurants in the UK and was named Ireland’s Restaurant of the Year 2014 by the influential John and Sally McKennas’ Guides.Award-winning food writer and TV presenter Donal Skehan is travelling to the North Antrim coast to meet Donal and Derek this week’s episode on ‘Meals in Minutes’, airing on RTE One on 11th July at 8.30pm. Advertisement Donal DohertyDerek CreaghSkehan will be finding out how Harrys Shack has taken a more relaxed approach to fine dining, and how it is certainly working well. Highly-acclaimed Donegal-born chef Derek Creagh is renowned for using fresh fish from Greencastle in Co Donegal, with vegetables from the restaurant’s own farm.Harry’s Shack is one of two Harry’s Restaurants now operating in Co. Derry. The first Harry’s Restaurant in Bridgend, Co. Donegal, closed last month after 26 years in business.Harry’s Restaurant BridgendAlso in this week’s Meals in Minutes Donal will be making dishes for modern cooks and taking on a 5 minute challenge. In a race against time the chef takes it upon himself to conjure up five minute meals that are fresh, flavoursome and result in some delicious dishes.Donal SkehanDishes include Vietnamese Beef Noodle Salad and a One Pan Chicken Cacciatore and Donal also shows viewers how to make some Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles and some Tomato, Spinach, Chickpea Angle Hair Soup. This week’s 5 minute challenge is a Rosemary Lamb Steak with Quick Bean Stew. Advertisement Donal Skehan’s Meals in Minutes will be broadcast on  Tuesday on RTÉ One at 8.30pm 11th July 2017.    Duo behind award-winning Harry’s Restaurants to feature in RTE series was last modified: July 7th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Derek CreaghDonal DohertyDonal Skehanharrys shackRTElast_img read more