MIAMI – Casting more uncertainty over the presidential nominating process for 2008, the Florida Legislature on Thursday moved the state’s primary up to Jan. 29, ignoring the threat of sanctions from the national Republican and Democratic parties. The new date puts the Florida primary ahead of all but four states. State party leaders hope that it will give Florida, the most populous swing state, a bigger role in choosing presidential nominees. But officials in other states said Florida’s move would only create more chaos around the nominating process, which has already been upended by other states’ decisions to hold earlier primaries. New Hampshire may move up its primary as a result – possibly even to this year, political leaders in other states said. And in South Carolina, Republican officials said they, too, would advance the date of their own primary. “South Carolina will name a date that keeps us first in the South,” said the chairman, Katon Dawson. “It could be as early as Halloween and our version of trick-or-treat, if we have to.” He added, “At the end of the day, the truth of the matter is that the nominee of either party is going to want to make sure they have not offended the big donors and the biggest activists in the most important state in the country that is electorally available.” Some of the states that have moved up their primaries to Feb.5, including California, Connecticut, New Jersey and New York, said they did not expect to seek even earlier dates. “I just don’t see it as likely,” said Ron Nehring, chairman of the California Republican Party. “California is going to be relevant, regardless of what other states choose to do.” In addition to New Hampshire, the states with contests before Jan.29 are Iowa and Nevada. In recent presidential election years, Florida’s primary has taken place in March. The Florida House voted unanimously for the change on Thursday, a week after the Senate approved the measure. In the same legislation, they approved Gov. Charlie Crist’s plan to replace the touch-screen voting machines used in many of Florida’s counties with paper ballots counted by scanning machines. Spokesmen for two Democratic presidential candidates, Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois, indicated they would not hold back from campaigning in Florida. “The DNC and the Florida state party will arbitrate this, and we will compete on the final field vigorously,” said Bill Burton, a spokesman for Obama. Stacie Paxton, press secretary for the Democratic National Committee, said the party would hold fast to its rules but suggested that Florida’s primary could be nonbinding. Its delegates could still be allowed at the nominating convention, she said, if the state agreed to hold a caucus later in the year. “This is not the first time that a state Legislature has set its primary on a date outside DNC party rules,” she said, adding that the committee is working with the state party to find alternatives that comply with the rules.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Choosing primary dates has always been contentious, with states that held primaries late in the season feeling marginalized. But frustration soared this year, and dozens of states began to jostle for position, with more than 20 so far settling on Feb.5, or considering it. The shifting dates have forced the presidential campaigns to reconsider every aspect of their nominating strategy – where to compete, how to spend money, when to start television advertising. Both parties have been trying to put a halt to the leapfrogging. They have said they would penalize all but a handful of states if they hold a primary before Feb.5, stripping them of half their delegates to the national nominating conventions. Under Democratic Party rules, the candidates can also be penalized, losing the delegates they won in the rule-breaking state. But Florida officials scoffed at those threats, calling the conventions little more than a formality. “We have people who get invited to a big party where they drop a balloon and people wear funny hats,” said Marco Rubio, the Republican speaker of the state House of Representatives. “But they don’t have any role to play.”
The world’s fastest man improved his record Sunday, winning a heat at the Rieti Grand Prix in 9.74 seconds despite easing at the end. “This means that I can do even 9.68,” Powell said. “I’m worth that time, I know it.” The record comes only two weeks after the Jamaican finished a disappointing third at the track and field world championships in Osaka, Japan. “I made a couple of mistakes and I corrected them,” said Powell, who lowered the mark by 0.03 seconds, having run 9.77 three times. “That’s what happens when I start to listen to the coach.” The heat, the second of two, was run with a strong tail wind, but it was below the maximum allowed by track and field’s governing body, making the record valid. TRACK AND FIELD: Jamaican breaks his own mark with a 9.74, says he can go faster. By Alessandra Tarantino THE ASSOCIATED PRESS RIETI, Italy – Asafa Powell set another world record in the 100 meters, and suspects he can go even faster. In the final, Powell won in 9.78 – with no tail wind. Michael Frater of Jamaica was second in 10.03, followed by Jaysuma Saidy Ndure of Norway in 10.10. “Today I ran like I should have done at the worlds,” Powell said. “At Osaka I was too tense, I was thinking about the race and the time I had to set. Instead, here I was relaxed.” After winning the final, Powell celebrated amid a crowd of photographers on the field of Raul Guidobaldi stadium, throwing a bouquet of flowers into the stands. He also ran a lap of honor, shaking hands with fans and signing autographs. “Me and my coach have been working to getting myself back to normal,” Powell said. “I came here today and I executed properly and did what I was supposed to do.” Powell is only the fourth non-American to hold the 100 world record since 1912. Donovan Bailey of Canada (1996), Armin Hary of West Germany (1960) and Percy Williams of Canada (1930) are the others. Rieti is a fast track on which six middle-distance world records have been set. That was not lost on Powell, who was trying to bounce back from his disappointing performance at the worlds. “It’s a very fast track. I love this track. It’s very bouncy,” said Powell, who trains in Italy three months of the year. “Italy is a good place for me. It’s my second home.” Powell first set the world record of 9.77 in June 2005 in Athens, Greece. Justin Gatlin matched the time in May 2006, but the American faces a suspension of up to eight years following a positive doping test for testosterone and other steroids at the Kansas Relays a month earlier. In June 2006, Powell again ran 9.77, and then did it a third time in August 2006. Despite the fast times, Powell has struggled at major competitions, missing a medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics. At the worlds, he finished behind gold medalist Tyson Gay and Derrick Atkins, running 9.96. The bronze was Powell’s first major medal. “That was a race I had to win and I didn’t. Enough. I lost,” Powell said. “The real Powell is the one from today, not the Osaka one.” Powell had also been one of the favorites at the 2003 worlds, but he was disqualified in the heats for a false start. He missed the 2005 worlds because of a groin injury. Michael Johnson, the world record holder at both 200 and 400 meters, criticized Powell during the worlds last month, saying the Jamaican is “not a great competitor.” Johnson said Powell gave up in Osaka when he was overtaken by Gay in the final 40 meters.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A closer look at the rebar and concrete work for the roadside retaining wall. Getting closer we can see that the hill that was there previously, has been sliced for a new freeway access road. Note on our right, retaining wall construction has begun. A even closer look.More to come as work progresses. October 24, 2011We last reported on road construction at the Cordes Junction Interchange on 8/12, 8/15, 9/26 and 10/10/2011.The following photos were taken last Friday, October 21. 2011.In this view we are coming from Prescott, approaching Interstate 17, see the Highway signs in front of us. And for further location ID, you can see the little McDonalds arch beyond the freeway.We can just see the red roof of the old Papa’s Place Restaurant on our right.[photos: Sue]
Categories: Kahle News,Kahle Photos 13Nov Rep. Kahle attends unveiling of Adrian native and Governor Charles Croswell portrait Croswell was the first governor to serve in the present CapitolState Rep. Bronna Kahle of Adrian attended the unveiling of a portrait of Governor Charles M. Croswell today in the Capitol Rotunda.Gov. Croswell was born in New York and orphaned at a young age. He moved to Adrian with his uncle and grew up to be a successful lawyer and public servant. Prior to being elected governor in 1876, Croswell served in the Michigan Senate, where he was president pro tempore, and elected as Speaker of the House of Representatives. Gov. Croswell was the first governor to serve in the current Michigan State Capitol. The building was dedicated in 1879 as Gov. Croswell was sworn into office for a second term.The new portrait of Gov. Croswell was painted by Capitol artist Joshua Risner.
On-demand content services specialist Vubiquity and Deutsche Telekom’s Business Development and Innovation unit (BDI) have teamed up to deliver a joint offering for operators and service providers looking to launch multiscreen services. Vubiquity will provide all content-related services for the Deutsche Telekom VideoRise platform for OTT services.The combination of VideoRise with Vubiquity’s content services is designed to enable service providers to launch OTT offerings more quickly and at lower cost, according to the pair.“Our partnership with Vubiquity will provide operators with outstanding content and further enhances our service offering. Thanks to our extensive experience in serving telco operators and service providers, we at Deutsche Telekom know that an end-to-end consultative approach, modularity, speed of delivery and premium content are the keys to success. One of BDI’s competencies is to bring together all required partners to get the best offering for our customers,” said Karim El-Khazen, VP in charge of BDI at Deutsche Telekom.“We are delighted to be working with Deutsche Telekom and the potential for future growth this brings to both our companies. There is a growing demand for multiscreen video solutions that can be tailored for individual service providers. This partnership means that, together, Deutsche Telekom Business Development and Innovation and Vubiquity can offer a complete service to operators and service providers, including content and all required technology,” said Adam Poulter, EVP and MD for EMEA and Latin America at Vubiquity.
WiFi chipset provider Celeno Communications has unveiled a cable gateway reference design developed with STMicroelectronics that integrates Celeno’s CL2440 standards-based 4×4 802.11ac Wave 2 is fully integrated with ST’s STiD325 (Barcelona) DOCSIS 3.1 chip.According to Celeno, the product is designed to help cable operators deliver multi-Gbps services at home with super-fast WiFi and Quality of Service capabilities.According to the company the technology offers four times higher speeds than the previous generation by supporting four simultaneous streams, three concurrent Multi-User devices, and 80MHz and 160MHz WiFi channels.The platform includes Celeno’s new ControlAIR multi-AP management software, which it says orchestrates multiple APs to increase throughput by adding smart cluster connectivity and dynamic Radio Resource Management, addressing a general move towards a ‘small cell’ Wi-Fi network or ‘Sprinklers’ architecture.“The ST DOCSIS 3.1 Platform together with the Celeno 4×4 802.11ac Wave 2 radio creates a high-performance Cable Gateway solution that provides fast and robust Wi-Fi services in the home, Integrating Celeno’s ControlAIR multi-AP cluster management software will allow cable operators to successfully add Wi-Fi companion devices in the home and offer optimized speeds and coverage to their subscribers,” said Lior Weiss, VP, marketing at Celeno.“Integrating the Celeno solution with ST’s Barcelona DOCSIS 3.1 chip allows MSOs to benefit from the multi-gigabit wireless bandwidth for a greater comfort of usage at home,” said Thomas Meyer, manager of the headless product line, consumer product division at STMicroelectronics. “We believe this reference platform will provide a great advantage to our customers in their ongoing cable-gateway designs.”
BT, Liberty Global, Orange and Sky Italia were among the winners at Digital TV Europe’s Content Innovation Awards last night, with Fox UK, Endemol Shine Beyond and others also taking home key awards.BT Sports took two awards at the event, organised by Digital TV Europe in association with TBI and presented during a Gala Dinner at the Carlton Hotel’s Grand Salon in Cannes, France. The UK telco’s TV unit took home the UHD Initiative of the Year award and the Second Screen Experience Technology Award for the BT app.Liberty Global’s Dutch unit Ziggo took home the Pay TV Initiative of the Year Award for its Replay TV offering. Orange won in the Social TV Innovation of the Year category for TV Clipping.Sky Italia meanwhile took the Multiscreen TV Award for D-Zero.Fox UK beat off strong competition to emerge as Channel of the Year, while Africanews won Best New Channel and Endemol Shine Beyond’s Awesomeness TV secured the Millennials Award.YoSpace and Channel 4 won in the Advanced TV Innovation category for Dynamic Ad Insertion for Live Simulcast in All4.Ostmodern won the Content Discovery Technology Award for its work with Maxdome.Keshet International took home the award for Industry Innovator of the Year, while Kindle Entertainment won the Most Innovative Digital Project Award for Dixi 3: Game of Dixi.Curzon Home Cinema was hailed as the OTT Initiative of the Year while Reuters TV won the Power Behind the Screen technology award.Red Bull Media won the Virtual Reality Initiative of the Year award for Helicopter Aerobatics.Content Media won the Best Content Distributor award, while Zodiak Rights won Best Series Launch of the Year for Versailles.Gaumont Television won the Breakout International Drama award for Narcos.
MTG-owned eSports company Dreamhack has partnered with Discovery Networks Denmark and the country’s top football league, Danish Superliga, to create a national FIFA gaming league.Peter NørrelundThe inaugural eSuperliga season will kick off on November 5 and will run across seven weeks, with 16 top-tier Danish football clubs competing against each other by playing EA Sports’ FIFA 19 videogame for a prize pool of €50,000.The eSports event will be streamed on Discovery’s DPlay service and broadcast live twice a week on its Canal 9 channel, with eSuperliga forming part of the official league qualifying events in the EA Sports FIFA 19 Global Series.“MTG has been partners with Superliga for 20 years, and the new competitive gaming tournament is a natural digital evolution of the most watched sports league in Denmark,” said Peter Nørrelund, executive vice-president, head of product development and incubation, and co-CEO of DreamHack.“Together with Electronic Arts’ hit FIFA 19 as the playing field, we are creating a first-class eSports product tailored for TV viewers, with superior production quality, consistent schedule and gripping storytelling around the action.”