first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division One Erne Wanderers 1 Glencar Celtic 2In perfect conditions this was a very evenly contested game. The first half saw both teams playing good football. Erne nearly scored after 3 minutes when Sticky Ward headed just over from David Dolan’s corner. The rest of the half saw both defences on top with neither keeper really tested. The second half started much the same. The breakthrough came on the hour mark when Erne gave up possession easily on the right wing and with the backline out of shape the ball ended up at Malseed’s feet on the edge of the box and his shot somehow found the bottom corner. Erne should have equalised straight away when they worked the ball down the left and Ryan O’ Brien got in behind the Glencar defence but the outrushing keeper did well to block his effort. Erne were pushing hard at this stage and were suspect to counter attacks and Celtic could have caught them on two or three occasions but for last ditch tackling to save the day. On seventy minutes Erne were caught square at the back and allowed Shane Hilley through on goal and he neatly tucked it into bottom corner. Erne went all out after this and got a lucky break when given a penalty with fifteen left. Ryan O’ Brien tucked it away into bottom corner. Wanderers pushed hard for the remainder of the game but Glencar just about held on for the points. Good battling display from Erne with Diarmuid Spratt, Micheal Ward and David Dorrian showing well and a team performance from Glencar. Referee: Seamus Mc Groary.Glenea United 3 Orchard F.C. 2In wet conditions, it was the home side that came out on top with a hard earned victory over Orchard. Glenea started brightly, putting the visitors under pressure, but were unable to create any clear cut chances and were made to pay on 25 minutes when Niall Bonner picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box and chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net. Orchard almost doubled their lead when, after good work down the right, the ball was pulled back to Niall Bonner but his effort went over the bar. Glenea equalised on 36 minutes when Eugene Maguire’s cross was headed on by Dean Gallagher and Sean McBride drilled the ball home. Orchard went back in front on the stroke of half-time, when Eddie McLaughlin drove in from the left and fired the ball home from 25 yards. In the 2nd half the home side tried hard to get back into the game but were finding it difficult to create any chances. Glenea were given a lifeline on 83 minutes when, from a free-kick on the edge of the area, Shane Coll curled the ball into the corner of the net. Both sides pushed hard for a winner and in the final minute it was the home side that broke away through Michael Mc Clafferty. His through ball found Tommy Rodgers who slipped a pass to Sean McBride and he lifted it over the keeper and into the net. Best for Glenea were Shane Penrose, Michael Mc Clafferty and Sean McBride, while Niall Bonner impressed for Orchard. Referee: Kevin DohertyGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoTullyvinney Rovers 1 Arranmore United 3Arranmore came into this game unbeaten. They started this game brightly and were three up in the first twenty minutes. They scored their first goal when Mark Ward’s attempted cross sliced over Nigel Hegarty’s head for a fortunate first goal . Arranmore scored their second goal after a long kick-out was latched onto by Gavin mc Glanaghey who tapped home .They scored their third when Mark Ward was upended in the penalty area. He got up and dispatched the penalty to the net. Tullyvinney started to play football after that and got a goal back when DavidGardiner was fouled in the box. Daniel Mc Nulty scored from the spot. The same player should have scored a second goal when he rounded the keeper but with the goal at his mercy he shot wide. Team effort from Arranmore. Best for Tullyvinney were Jason Mc Kinney, Paddy Cassidy and Adam Gardiner. Referee: Charlie Crerand Keadue Rovers Reserves 4 Glenree United Reserves 6Glenree came out winners of this entertaining fixture at Central Park on Saturday. After a good opening spell for both sides Glenree took the lead on five minutes, a header from a corner from John Mc Clafferty. However a minute later Keadue were level, David Ward striking low to the corner of the net. The home side had followed this with a good spell and created a few half chances but against the run of play Glenree went 2-1 up when Karl Mc Elhinney got on the end of a good move. After twenty five minutes Keadue should’ve been level, Luke Neely hitting the post. Glenree took advantage of that miss and were 3-1 up within minutes, Karl Mc Elhinney getting his second of the game. Keadue came back into it with Luke Neely drilling home, leaving it 3-2 on the half hour mark. Glenree went 4-2 up after thirty five minutes from an inswinging corner which hung in the wind. Damien Nelis headed home almost on the line. Close to half time Glenree were the stronger outfit and made it 5-2 when Damien Nelis scored. Into the second half, Damien Hanlon poked home following a defensive mix up on forty seven minutes. Having most of the possession Keadue continued to push forward and on seventy two minutes following a fine cross from Jack O’Brien, Donal Rodgers rose well to head home to make it 5-4. Keadue were now well on top but just couldn’t force the equaliser. Karl Mc Elhinney was proving dangerous on the break for Glenree and on eighty minutes following a breakaway he was brought down for a penalty. Damien Nelis converted to complete his hat-trick. Best for Glenree were Damien Nelis and Karl Mc Elhinney and best for Keadue were Conor Greene and David Ward. Referee: Barry Hunter.Cranford United Reserves 2 Strand Rovers 1Cranford started the game on the front foot with good chances falling to Brendan Giles and Naoise Cullen, but the Strand keeper doing well in nets pulled off two good saves. Both teams had chances with Brendan Glackin going close for the Strand from distance. Cranford took the lead after good work from Brendan Giles to turn the defender, win a penalty, and then coolly slot home. The second half started with Strand putting the pressure on and they were rewarded with Thomas Brennan finishing well to make it one each. Cranford responded well and went close through Kevin Fisher and Hughie Bradley. Cranford then took the lead after a great finish from John Mc Bride inside the box. Cranford almost got a third but Tony Boyce’s header was well saved by the keeper. Best for Cranford were John Mc Bride and Darren Lynch. Team effort by Strand. SUNDAY REPORTSWatson Hire Division OneCastlefin Celtic 6 Eany Celtic 1Castlefin had a convincing victory over an under strength Eany on Sunday. Castlefin took the lead in the 4th minute when Ronan Tourish scored from the penalty spot after Mathew O` Rourke was fouled in the box. Castlefin made it two in the 25th minute. The ball was played out of defence from Michael Dunnion to Matthew O` Rourke who played it through to JP Malley to score. Eany pulled one back in the 32nd minute when Liam Mc Groarty scored direct from a corner. Castlefin increased their lead on the stroke of half time when Simon Mc Glinchey tapped home from a Ronan Tourish corner. Matthew O` Rourke scored the home sides 4th goal in the 60th minute, fed by a though ball from Kieran Brennan. In the 75th minute Ronan Tourish scored again form the penalty spot after Mailey was fouled in the penalty area. JP Malley completed the scoring in the 85th minute when he shot past the keeper from a Matthew O` Rourke pass. Referee: James MalseedCT Ball Division TwoRaphoe Town 3 Letterbarrow Celtic 1On a stormy day in Raphoe the home side collected their first three points of the season. Raphoe started very well with Jamie Gallagher and Mark Bogle causing all sorts of problems for the away team. Jamie Gallagher opened the scoring after a great move involving Seamy Bogle, Mark Bogle and Paddy Gallagher. They went two up when Mark Bogle scored with a fantastic diving header. Letterbarrow got back into it when they scored on the break, after this they had a few half chances but Raphoe held firm and went three one up after Micheal Quinn was taken down in the box. Christy Bogle stepped up and dispatched he penalty expertly. Best for Raphoe: Jamie Gallagher and Gavin Mc Brearty. Solid team effort from Letterbarrow Celtic.Drumbar F.C. 1 Convoy Arsenal 2Drumbar welcomed the league leaders Convoy on a wet and windy day for football. A bright opening from the home side but they just couldn’t convert their chances. Convoy shocked the home side with a quick double before half time from David Harvey and John Melaugh. Drumbar dominated the second half and forced a free kick after some fine play from Adam Enright, Enda Brogan and Gavin Bennett. Shane Browne stepped up and dispatched a fine free kick. Drumbar pushed on from there with shot after shot but couldn’t get past a Convoy keeper in great form on the day. Team effort from Convoy. Best for Drumbar were Owen Harron and Daniel Bennett.FAI Junior CupKerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2 Whitestrand United 1Kerrykeel ‘71 moved into the next round of the FAI Junior Cup with a win against local rivals Whitestrand United. The game started at a frantic pace with Kerrykeel on top. Brendan Friel saved well from his brother Johnny on ten minutes. Paddy Mc Grenaghan was pulling the strings in midfield and he went close on eighteen minutes only to see his strike go narrowly wide. Mark Friel put the ‘71 in front on twenty five minutes when he brilliantly fired home after a Cathal Martin pass. Whitestrand were trying to hit Kerrykeel on the break but Marty Mc Ateer, Seimie Friel, Patrick Mc Conigley and Mylie Mc Bride dealt well with it. Kerrykeel had chances to extend their lead but Brendan Friel was having a fine game.Whitestrand drew level in the first minute of the second half when Jerome Burke broke the offside trap and finished well. Kerrykeel upped a gear and got their lead back on sixty minutes when Kevin Loughrey crossed for Johnny Friel to head home from six yards. Kerrykeel had keeper Shaun Friel to thank shortly after when he made two point blank saves to deny Burke. In the final ten minutes the ‘71 had chances through Mark Friel and Cathal Martin but again Friel came out on top.Best for Kerrykeel: Patrick Mc Grenaghan, Fergus Callaghan and Shaun FrielBest for Whitestrand: Eamonn Martin and S.P. GallagherReferee: Paddy DuffyUlster Junior CupBallybofey United 2 Lagan Harps 1Ballybofey United advanced to the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup by defeating Lagan Harps on Sunday afternoon. The Twin Towns outfit fell behind after just ten minutes when Austin Marron struck to give the Manorcunningham based outfit the lead. Ten minutes later the home side pulled level when Conor Doherty scored from twenty five yards. The game was contested in typical Cup Football fashion throughout. Ballybofey United secured the winner in the last minute of the match when Chris Darby drilled a free kick to the back of the Lagan net. Referee: Brian O’ KaneLifford Celtic 4 Kilmacrennan Celtic 0Lifford stormed out of the blocks, similar to the weather, and they raced into a two goal early lead following goals from the evergreen Patrick Sumners and a cool Johnny Robb penalty. As the first half progressed Kilmac came more into the game but never really troubled Paul Given in the Lifford goal. The second half began as the first ended with Kilmac pressing and Lifford rearguard standing strong. Lifford ensured they would progress to the next round as Declan Lafferty scored from 40 yards on 70 minutes with the Kilmac netminder caught in “no man’s land”. Kilmac continued to enjoy fine spells of possession but couldn’t find a way through a determined Lifford defence marshalled by Marcus McDonald. Patrick Sumners put a fine gloss on the result as he scored Lifford’s fourth and his second to wrap up the victory and cap a fine personal performance.Carrick United 1 Gweedore United 2(No Report Available)Milford United 8 Cootehill Harps 3Milford advanced with a comprehensive win over Cootehill Harps at the Flag Pole Pitch in Rathmullan following the switching of the game from Milford.The sides met in the FAI Junior Cup earlier this year with the Cavan team coming out on top by five goals to nil. Milford were not going to be caught cold this time round and started with great drive and energy and ended the game as a contest with four goals in the opening half hour.Milford’s first was headed home by Christy Mc Cafferty following a perfect cross from TJ Evesson. PJ Hagan rattled in the next again from an Evesson cross. Christy Mc Cafferty scored the goal of the match, following good work by Gary Merritt, Mc Cafferty took the ball 25 yards from goal to strike with power to the top corner. Gary Merritt tapped home the fourth following good work by Mc Cafferty. Cavan scored a goal before half time. Mc Cafferty struck again from 20 yards to secure his hat-trick. PJ Hagan added another and also rounded the keeper minutes later to tap in for his hat-trick. Merritt scored two further goals to complete his hat-trick also. Cootehill scored two late consolation goals and Milford finished with 10 men when Paddy Peoples received two yellow cards and was dismissed. A great team performance by Milford. Referee: Kevin Logue.Curragh Athletic 0 Carndonagh F.C. 2Last year’s winners Carndonagh F.C. progressed through the next round of the Ulster Junior Cup thanks to two goals from former Derry City player Brendan Devlin. However, although the Inishowen team probably just about deserved their win, they had another former Derry City player, goalkeeper Seamus Houghton, to thank as he had an excellent game in goals. Devlin opened the scoring on fifteen minutes when he slotted home from close range from a free kick. He then wrapped up the game with a penalty on seventy minutes. But the home team will feel they could have done better with a bit of luck, Ronnie Carlin’s header just going the wrong side of the post and Houghton making several confident saves when needed. For Curragh, Garbh Gallagher and Neil Lloyd tried hard up the middle with Carlin and Marcus Oliver always looking dangerous up front. But it was the Inishowen outfit that dealt better with the difficult weather with Curragh if anything trying to play too much football. Referee: Joe Mc Hugh.Donegal Town 1 Rathmullan Celtic 2Rathmullan came out on top in this closely fought affair at the Hospital Field. In blustery conditions, the visitors started the brighter and created some early chances. Donegal then grew into the game and came close from a David Harron effort. Goalkeeper Dermot Mc Cafferty and defensive pair JP Byrne and Barry Farragher dealt well with the fluid Rathmullan attack. After the break Donegal grew in belief and that belief was rewarded when Clint Walsh fired home in the sixtieth minute. Good work out wide from David Harron and David Bustard created the chance which Walsh buried into the bottom corner. Rathmullan pushed forward in search of an equaliser and got their reward when Eamonn Sheridan nodded home from a corner. The winner was scored in the second half of extra time when Darragh Patton headed home at the near post from a corner. Ryan Earley went close for Donegal late on but fired his effort just over. Good team performances from both sides.Cranford United 4 Dunkineely Celtic 0Cranford got their Ulster Cup campaign off to an excellent startagainst Dunkineely Celtic with a 4-0 victory. Arthur Lynch stabbed home fromclose range after Philip Buchanan’s effort was cleared off the line.They made it two nil on 40 minutes when Kyle Black headed home a MichaelCannon cross. In between Dunkineely had a few chances well saved bythe in-form Cranford keeper Shaun Gallagher. On 75 minutes Kyle added hissecond from a Buchanan through ball and got his hat-trick when hescored from a Cannon pass. Declan Murrin put in a good shift for theaway team with new signing Kieran Sharkey, Kyle Black and Seamus Carrthe pick of the home team. Referee: Charlie Crerand.Gweedore Celtic 3 Bonagee United 0The final result may flatter Gweedore Celtic as this was a much closer game than the scoreline suggests. As early as the first minute Bonagee had a chance as Lee Mc Gonigle outpaced the home defence but his low shot went past the post. Against the run of play Brendan Devine’s shot took a deflection and wrong footed the keeper with the ball ending up in the back of the net.Bonagee continued to press and they seemed to have their reward when they were awarded a penalty just before half-time. Kevin Doran took the kick but fired it over the bar. The second half was a more even affair. Gweedore Celtic got their second goal on seventy-five minutes when Odhran Mac Niallais drove home from just inside the area. In the last minute Tommy Diver headed home from a Chris Porter corner. Best for Gweedore were Johnny Mc Ginty and Jamie Boyle. A team performance from Bonagee. Referee: Michael LaganGlengad United 1 Glenea United 1(Glengad won on penalties)St. Catherines 2 Cockhill Celtic Youths 1The Saints entertained Inishowen side Cockhill Youths in the Ulster Cup at a windy Emerald Park. Cockhill started the brighter and on thirty five minutes opened the scoring when Daniel Doherty hit a free kick from wide on the wing and it found its way to The Saints net with the assist of the strong wind. The Saints pressed for the equaliser but couldn’t break through the Cockhill defence.The second half saw chances go amiss from both sides and it wasn’t until eighty minutes that St. Catherines found the net when Cormac Cannon pounced on a defensive error and his shot hit the post on it’s way in. Cockhill finished the ninty minutes with ten men.Extra time saw The Saints press hard for the winner as Cockhill defended for their lives and on one hundred and five minutes Ryan Farrell popped up at the back post to riffle the ball low and hard into the bottom corner. Good team performances from both sides. Referee: Victor Rainey.Cavan Celtic 4 Gweedore United Reserves 6(No Report Available)DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneErne Wanderers 1 v 2 Glencar CelticGlenea United 3 v 2 Orchard F.C.Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoTullyvinney Rovers 1 v 3 Arranmore UnitedKeadue Rovers Reserves 4 v 6 Glenree United ReservesCranford United Reserves 2 v 1 Strand RoversSUNDAYWatson Hire Division OneCastlefin Celtic 6 v 1 Eany CelticCT Ball Division TwoRaphoe Town 3 v 1 Letterbarrow CelticDrumbar F.C. 1 v 2 Convoy ArsenalFAI Junior CupKerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2 v 1 Whitestrand UnitedUlster Junior CupBallybofey United 2 v 1 Lagan HarpsLifford Celtic 4 v 0 Kilmacrennan CelticCarrick United 1 v 2 Gweedore UnitedMilford United 8 v 3 Cootehill HarpsCurragh Athletic 0 v 2 Carndonagh F.C.Donegal Town 1 v 2 Rathmullan CelticCranford United 4 v 0 Dunkineely CelticGweedore Celtic 3 v 0 Bonagee UnitedGlengad United 1 v 1 Glenea United(Glengad won on penalties)St. Catherines 2 v 1 Cockhill Celtic YouthsCavan Celtic 4 v 6 Gweedore United ReservesDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 02-11-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneRamelton Mariners v Castlefin Celtic ReservesGlencar Celtic v St. Catherines ReservesOrchard F.C. v Erne WanderersGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoStrand Rovers v Arranmore United (K.O. 1 p.m.)Milford United Reserves v Glenree United ReservesDonegal Town Reserves v Curragh Athletic ReservesTullyvinney Rovers v Keadue Rovers ReservesCranford United Reserves v Gweedore United ReservesSUNDAY 03-11-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic v Glenea UnitedGweedore Celtic v Cranford UnitedKilmacrennan Celtic v Lifford CelticMilford United v Curragh AthleticSt. Catherines v Donegal TownWatson Hire Division OneKerrykeel ’71 F.C. v Gweedore UnitedCastlefin Celtic v Bonagee UnitedDrumoghill F.C. v Keadue RoversEany Celtic v Lagan HarpsCappry Rovers v Dunkineely CelticCT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps v Dunlewy CelticBallybofey United v Raphoe TownCopany Rovers v Whitestrand UnitedGlenree United v Letterbarrow CelticDONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE RESULTS, REPORTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: October 27th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img