GREGORY DIXON/Herald photoBLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The last time UW had a Tyler Donovan sighting, the junior quarterback was walking off the field to a sea of grimaces by the Wisconsin faithful at Camp Randall after leading three drives that resulted in negative yardage. Donovan did not complete a pass to anyone but a Western Illinois defender, throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown.With Wisconsin up 42-0 late in the third quarter it was clear that the starters on both offense and defense had made the intended statement. Head coach Bret Bielema took advantage of a golden opportunity to get his backups some playing time, Donovan included. “There’s a lot of valuable experience to be gained out there,” Bielema said. “A lot of guys had never had game experience before. There’s a lot of positives to take out of it.”This time around Donovan was much more effective. “That was a tough situation for those guys and myself,” said Donovan. “It was good to get out here and get in a little bit better situation where you actually can do something.”The backup quarterback led UW to 10 points, completing three of his four passes for 26 yards, including a conversion on third down, before making way for third-stringer Dustin Sherer, who took the field for the first time in his career. “Bottom line, if John were ever to go down, we’d have to be able to step up, and [Donovan’s] got to be able to execute,” said Bielema, who while not normally superstitious couldn’t help but literally knock on the wooden table in front of him while making the statement. “These reps today are priceless.”Mr. Smith goes to BloomingtonOne week after barely seeing the field against Michigan, freshman tailback Lance Smith made up for lost time, carrying the ball for a career-high 19 times, for 65 yards and his first career touchdown at Memorial Stadium, almost eclipsing the number of carries starter P.J. Hill received. Although Hill did gain 129 yards and scored three touchdowns, coaches are still looking for improvement from Hill in other fazes in the game. “P.J. does a good job running the football, but there are still some things he has to clean up as far as [pass] protection,” Bielama said. “The great news about P.J. is that he’s only five games into his career.”Hill showed no signs of being miffed at not getting more carries however, instead stating his belief that the combination is a dangerous one. “He brings a little thunder and lightning into the situation,” Hill commented. “I think it’s good. He has speed and he has power and that throws a defense off a lot.””I like the tandem, we didn’t get Lance in the ballgame last week, there was a concerted effort to get him early. You can see he’s got a little bit different speed than P.J.While Smith had a career day, fifth-year senior Dywon Rowan had a forgettable one, not in that he made any poor plays, but just that his name was absent on the stat sheet after the game, possibly signaling that Smith has surpassed him as the backup running back. “In the words of Paul Chryst, P.J. is No. 1, Dywon is the second running back and Lance is the second tailback,” Bielema said. “They are trying to trust me, trying to give me more chances,” Smith said. “I don’t know what they are going to do with us, but I just know when my time comes I’m going to take advantage of it.”Kickoffs return offWhile it was all smiles after the game for the Badgers and their head coach, Saturday’s contest wasn’t without its blemishes, most notably the continued struggles on kickoff returns. Freshman Josh Nettles who never advanced the ball past the 20-yard line against Michigan only got to the 15-yard line in his only return versus the Hoosiers. Complicating matters was that he fumbled on the play, allowing Indiana’s Troy Grosfield to return the fumble 15 yards for a touchdown.”Kickoff returns still an Achilles heel for us,” said UW head coach Bret Bielema. “We gotta be able to either check our personnel or [our] scheme and make sure that we aren’t trying to do something we can’t execute.” On the ensuing kickoffs, Jarvis Minton returned to lead return duties, which had been stripped from him following a fumble against Western Illinois in the Badgers’ home opener. “I feel that I can help out the team on kick off returns,” Minton said afterward. “I am going to get out there and show everybody that I can make a difference out there.”
ST GEORGE’S, Grenada (CMC):FIFA has suspended Grenada’s senior men’s national football coach Anthony Modeste for four games and fined him more than US$10,000 for misconduct against match officials.The Disciplinary Committee, comprising of Claudio Sulser of Switzerland as chairman, and members Jim Shaw of Northern Ireland, Ariel Alvarado of Panama, and Cristian Varela of Chile, handed down its decision on July 23. The ruling was communicated to the Grenada Football Association (GFA) last week.The Spice Boyz coach is accused of breaching the FIFA Disciplinary Code by committing an unsporting conduct towards a match official during their World Cup preliminary round game against Puerto Rico in June.According to FIFA, Modeste, who received a red card during the first-leg preliminary game against Puerto Rico in the 2018 FIFA World Cup on June 12, will miss Grenada’s third-round qualifying games against Haiti next month.FIFA said that the automatic match suspension was already served when Grenada played Puerto Rico on June 16 in St George’s and in light of the fact that Grenada has qualified for the next round of the preliminary competition, Modeste will be served two match suspensions against Haiti on September 4 and 8.The governing body said that the remaining match suspension will have to be served if Grenada qualify for round four of the competition.However, if Grenada does not qualify for the subsequent round of the preliminary competition of the FIFA World Cup 2018, the remaining match suspension will be carried over to Grenada’s next official match.Modeste is also fined US$9,000 in application of the ruling and US$1,000 for the proceedings. He has 30 days from the date of notification of the decision to pay the fine.
The 7 division event will feature approximately 70 skaters, ranging in age from 5-15.Skaters compete in one of two styles of racing, either Olympic style or mass start.As a result of the competition, the speed skating track will be shut down to the public.- Advertisement -Eneregeticcity.ca will have the event results following the competition.
Cllr James Pat Mc Daid has called on the Minister for Transport to reinstate Strategic road monies and LIS grants for Donegal.Cllr James Pat McDaidHe said that it has been too long for roads like Letterkenny to Glenties, Ramelton to Letterkenny and roads like the Back of Errigal getting no funding for realignmnent works.He said it is a huge loss to the county and numerous roads across the county need extensive repairs and upgrading to be made safer. He also called for the reinstatement of grants for the LIS roads which is a major issue especially in rural parts of Donegal.Some of these roads have not been done now for 10-15 years and are deteriorating rapidly and in a state of disrepair.“These small country laneways need to be maintained and this grant must be reinstated because people simply cannot afford to fix it by themselves as there is just too many taxes and charges now a days . They use to be a 90% grant for these laneways and many people benefitted from this when it was accessible.”Mc Daid added that he did not accept previous responses from the Minister saying that the Council roads budget could be top sliced for LIS roads, we cannot afford to do this in Donegal our roads are currently under funded and could make the annual roads budget any smaller to facilitate LIS roads. He said leading up to the General Election commitments should be made by all parties for the reinstatement of these grants as it is a huge issue right across the whole of Donegal and he’s hoping that he will play a leading role in the campaign.Cllr McDaid has also hammered into Govt. road spending of €27bn plan, which it says will create 45,000 construction jobs.“There is not one red cent for for key roads like the Letterkenny to Lifford road and indeed the Bonagee link road for Letterkenny.“These are major road projects that are badly needed and its very disappointing to see the Government to ignore them once again,” he said.“The grand plan includes a series of new road and schools programmes, as well as the construction of a new Metro North rail line. But we have been left behind yet again up here in Donegal where it is needed most,” he added. DONEGAL ROADS NEED MONEY NOT PROMISES – McDAID was last modified: October 2nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cllr Jams Pat McDaidROADS