SIMAH asks for the liberation of journalist Mohamed Abdalla Moallim

first_img News March 2, 2021 Find out more December 5, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 SIMAH asks for the liberation of journalist Mohamed Abdalla Moallim Receive email alerts Organisation RSF and NUSOJ call for release of a journalist held in Somalia’s Puntland region SomaliaAfrica News RSF requests urgent adoption of moratorium on arrests of journalists February 24, 2021 Find out more Newscenter_img RSF_en Radio reporter gunned on city street in central Somalia Follow the news on Somalia News January 8, 2021 Find out more SomaliaAfrica to go further Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders supports an appeal by the Somalia Independent Media Houses Association (SIMHA) for the release of Radio Marka director Mohamed Abdalla Moallim, who has been held by the security forces in Mogadishu for more than 10 days without being charged. Read the SIMHA statement here.RWB is also worried about the threats that former presidential chief of staff Kammal Gutale has been making against Radio Dalsan in connection with an article on its website referring to a UN report linking him to piracy. Such threats and harassment limit the ability of journalists to work freely and without fear in Somalia.last_img read more

Dead dolphin protest seeks better French fishing practices

first_imgPARIS (AP) — Activists spread four dead dolphins on the cobblestones outside France’s parliament to urge safer fishing industry practices to protect dolphins from fatal encounters with fishing nets. They unfurled a banner reading “Thousands of dolphins like these are massacred each year in France so that you can eat fish.”  Police watched closely as the activists from environmental group Sea Shepherd protested alongside dolphins found washed up on Atlantic beaches in the Vendee region Monday. Activists have long urged the French government to limit the amount of time fishing vessels can fish in certain zones, and to require cameras on fishing vessels to make sure they are employing humane methods.last_img read more

UN: Children massacred in South Sudan battles

first_imgDozens of children have been killed in fighting in South Sudan, where battles rage despite political deals to end almost two years of civil war, the United Nations has said.The UN said that fighting in the northern battleground state of Unity has “intensified with grave consequences for civilians” in recent weeks, adding that 40,000 people are also starving to death.The report by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) released late on Friday detailed killings in just one area of Unity state during a two-week period.It said that in the Leer district of southern Unity, which has swapped hands multiple times between government and rebel forces, at least 80 civilians were killed between October 4 to 22. Almost three-quarters of those killed were children – at least 57 killed in Leer – while there were more than 50 cases of rape being used as “a weapon of war”, the report said.Both sides are accused of having perpetrated ethnic massacres, recruited and killed children and carried out widespread rape, torture and forced displacement of populations to “cleanse” areas of their opponents.Hunger experts from the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) have warned of a “concrete risk of famine” before the end of the year if fighting continues and aid does not reach the hardest-hit areas.While some aid has reached two districts in Unity – Buaw and Koch – other areas are cut off.Some 3.9 million people are in critical need of aid – a third of the country’s population and a massive 80% rise compared to the same period last year, the UN said.Civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that have split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.The army and rebels have repeatedly accused each other of breaking an internationally-brokered August 26 ceasefire, the eighth such agreement aimed at ending the nearly two-year long war.last_img read more

Brandon McCarthy ready to start again for Dodgers

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “It’s not a lonely road,” McCarthy said.The road back for McCarthy ends Sunday, coming 435 days since he last pitched in the major leagues.McCarthy, who underwent Tommy John surgery in April 2015, will start the series finale against the Colorado Rockies.It might be something of a re-introduction.The right-hander, signed by the Dodgers to a four-year, $48 million contract before the 2015 season, made only four starts for the club before tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow. LOS ANGELES >> Brandon McCarthy made a quick scan of the home clubhouse at Dodger Stadium.He gestured to his left. That was Brett Anderson’s locker. Midway through his third season with Oakland in 2011, Anderson was shut down. He headed for Tommy John surgery.McCarthy gazed across the room in the direction of the locker of Alex Wood, who underwent the same elbow ligament replacement procedure during his freshman season at Georgia in 2010, as did another of the Dodgers’ arms, Hyun-Jin Ryu, as a high schooler in South Korea in 2004.He has company.center_img He hoped not to attach much sentiment to his return.“I don’t want it to be anything different than just a start,” McCarthy said. “I understand there’s something there to it, but I’m trying not to place any mental importance, the same with any step in a throwing program. It’s just kind of another step along the way. As soon I start focusing on things that are outside my control, it becomes a little too much.”Manager Dave Roberts, a bit unexpectedly, announced Friday that McCarthy would make his first start of the season.The 32-year-old made four minor-league rehabilitation starts, but had only thrown five or more innings once and had not thrown more than 72 pitches. It had been anticipated he would get another rehab start.Asked if his return was sooner than expected, McCarthy said, “this is right where I wanted to be.”There is no innings or pitch limit, according to Roberts.The Dodgers’ rotation has been saddled with injuries. Four starters are on the disabled list, including Clayton Kershaw who was placed there Friday with a herniated disk in his back. Mike Bolsinger was optioned to Triple-A last month, as well.Coming out of his last rehab start on June 27, McCarthy told the staff he was ready when needed.“I felt I got in a good place with my stuff, and I felt confident about being here,” he said. “If there was a need for me, put me in.”That he can return on schedule in little over 14 months without setbacks was testament to the medical staff, he said. The typical timetable is considered 12-18 months.“For me, it’s just doing the work every day and getting through it,” he said. “That it’s happened to work out this way, the way we planned for it, maybe it’s luck. It all worked perfectly.”Kershaw updateKershaw said he was “feeling a little better” and “starting to get a little relief” after he received an epidural shot in his lower back on Wednesday.Kershaw began feeling pain earlier in the week, but did not trace it to a particular pitch in his last outing.“If you ask anyone in a clubhouse, they would say my lower back is kind of stiff today,” Kershaw said. “Everybody goes through that, didn’t think mine was any different. Maybe I pushed it too far, but I definitely didn’t do it on one pitch or anything like that. Was probably just a progression.”Asked about a timetable for his return, Kershaw declined to offer one. He was scheduled for a checkup with back specialist Dr. Robert Watkins later Saturday night.Kershaw said the pain was concentrated in his back.“No pain going down my leg,” he said, “which is a good sign.”The last time Kershaw was on the DL was in 2014, when he missed the first five weeks of the season with an upper back injury.The left-hander is not any less restless.“I’m going to be very impatient and try to pitch tomorrow,” Kershaw said. “The DL (stinks). There’s no getting around it, it’s awful. When you come to the field every day, you feel like you let the team down by not pitching.”NotesThe Dodgers remain undecided if Hyun-Jin Ryu will make another rehab start or join the starting rotation next week. Over six innings at Triple-A Oklahoma City on Friday night, Ryu’s fastball touched 90 mph and averaged 86 mph, Roberts said. … Shortstop Corey Seager was named the National League Rookie of the Month for June. … Roberts hit a single during the Dodgers’ annual old timers’ game Saturday.last_img read more