Pro-Trump mobs fueled by conspiracy theories try to disrupt voting counts in contested states

first_imgIn Detroit, a crowd of protesters pounded on the windows inside the city’s vote-counting center, demanding to be allowed in to the vote-counting area, which was at its capacity of 570 vote challengers already inside the room. The protesters, who chanted in support of a Trump lawsuit demanding the counting be stopped due to transparency claims, eventually were rebuffed—as was Trump’s lawsuit.In Philadelphia, protesters from both pro-Trump and pro-Biden camps gathered outside the city’s convention center, where ballot-counting operations are centered. The pro-Trump protesters, who included several Proud Boys, were organized by FreedomWorks For America, the right-wing “astroturf” group credited with co-creating the “Tea Party” phenomenon. “CALLING ALL PATRIOTS! We cannot let the radical Left steal this election!” the group posted on Facebook. In another post it urged protesters turn out to “make sure Joe Biden does not steal the election.”- Advertisement – In Nevada, competing protests outside the North Las Vegas ballot-counting center have so far remained peaceful. “President Trump has won,” one Trump supporter told the Las Vegas Sun. “He won Nevada. President Trump four more years.” She also voiced skepticism that the Nevada vote count was legitimate: “I would bet my life there’s no people in there,” she said, referring to the warehouse where votes were being counted.In Arizona, where Joe Biden has consistently led in the ballot count, several hundred protesters—some reportedly carrying weapons—gathered outside the Maricopa County Recorder’s Office on Wednesday to demand all votes be counted, and claiming that there had been ongoing fraud in which Republican ballots were being thrown out.The Arizona protesters were ginned up about a conspiracy theory—dubbed “SharpieGate”—that Republican voters who had used Sharpie pens given out at polling stations to mark their ballots were being widely disqualified, a claim that state officials emphatically denied.- Advertisement – “Poll workers are not going to give voters pens that are going to invalidate their ballot,” Arizona Sec. of State Katie Hobbs told KTAR News on Wednesday.That did not stop Republican and mainstream-conservative groups from spreading the claims. Congressman Paul Gosar of Arizona, a fervid Trump supporter, asked for Arizona’s Republican attorney general, Mark Brnovich, to investigate the allegations on Twitter. Brnovich responded by sending a letter to Maricopa County election officials asking them for answers.The American Conservative Union’s Matt Schlapp pushed the conspiracy theory hard on Twitter as well. “Apparently the use of Sharpie pens in GOP precincts is causing ballots to be invalidated,” read one of Schlapp’s multiple tweets promoting the SharpieGate claims, all of which were labeled by Twitter as possibly misleading. “Could be huge numbers of mostly Trump supporters.”- Advertisement – Accordingly, Wednesday’s protest crowd was ripe with far-right figures and conspiracy theorists. One of the state’s most prominent “Patriot” movement leaders, Jennifer Harrison of Arizona Patriots, led a small delegation inside the building in the early moments of the protest, where video showed her demanding to be permitted to observe the count, and being denied.Arizona Patriots (also known as the Patriot Movement of Arizona) won notoriety in 2018 for a Facebook video posted by a leading member of the group showing her entering a Muslim mosque and removing articles, leading eventually to a felony conviction for the woman. Harrison, who was sued by several churches for harassing immigrant children by posting videos of them arriving by bus, herself currently faces a felony identity theft charge in Maricopa County.  Maricopa County sheriff’s deputies formed a barrier at the entrance that kept the protesters out, even as they began chanting “Let us in!” and “Stop the Steal!” Among the protesters was Gosar, who could be seen joining a chant: “Where are the votes!”All of these protests appear to have been organized largely on Facebook. The Facebook group devoted to the “#StopTheSteal” hashtag gained 320,000 members in less than 48 hours, having been created shortly after Trump had tweeted out his plea to “Stop the count!”A Facebook spokesperson told Rolling Stone it removed the group on the grounds that it was “creating real-world events. The group was organized around the delegitimization of the election process, and we saw worrying calls for violence from some members of the group.” – Advertisement –last_img read more

‘Drug peddlers’ busted in Roxas

first_imgROXAS City – Eleven grams of suspected shabu valued at around P145,000was seized in a buy-bust operation in Barangay Banica.    “Asiatico was placed under surveillance for more than three weeks beforewe staged the operation,” he said.                     Officers of the Roxas City police station staged the entrapmentoperation which led to the arrest of the suspects around 11 p.m. onMonday.     “Asiatico was arrested twice in the past for selling shabu, but thosecases were dismissed by the court,” Arcangeles told Panay News.   When frisked, Asiatico yielded an unlicensed gun with live bullets,police said.    center_img Master Sergeant Ramil Arcangeles, spokesperson of the Roxas City policestation, identified the suspects as 32-year-old Anthony Asiatico and21-year-old Jesa Acutillar, both residents of this city.         Recovered items during a buy-bust operation in Barangay Banica, Roxas City on Monday. GLENN BEUP/PN The suspects were detained in the lockup cell of the Roxas City policestation, facing charges./PNlast_img read more

The Latest: 99-year-old fundraising UK veteran honored

first_imgThe KNVB says it also plans to cancel the rest of the men’s season but will discuss the issue with UEFA before making the final decision.___The French rugby league has canceled the semifinals of its Top 14 league because of the coronavirus pandemic.The LNR’s executive committee abandoned hosting the semifinals on June 19 and 20 and the final in mid-July in the southern city of Nice but says they could potentially be played before the end of summer if health conditions allow.The LNR says it is waiting to see what rules the government sets out following the end of lockdown before definitively deciding if a resumption is possible. Tom Moore will get the chance to ring the famous bell at Lord’s cricket ground, signalling the start of a day’s play, as a reward for his fundraising efforts that have become a national rallying point. The job is typically given to former cricketers or figures in the sport.The offer was made to Moore, a cricket fan, by England captain Joe Root – a fellow Yorkshireman.“I’d love you to give us a team talk at some point as well,” Root said in a video conversation with Moore, “and get all the lads in the right frame of mind.”The Twitter account of Lord’s posted a message to Moore, saying he is “an inspiration to us all.”With the aid of a walking frame, Moore walked 100 laps of his garden in eastern England to support workers in Britain’s National Health Service. He wanted to complete the mission before his 100th birthday on April 30, and his family initially set a target of raising 1,000 pounds. Associated Press ___The Dutch soccer association has canceled the remainder of the women’s league season and cup tournament following a discussion with the clubs.The KNVB says the consequences of the cancellation will be clarified on Friday when soccer authorities talk with the clubs.PSV Eindhoven currently leads the women’s league.The cancellation follows Tuesday’s announcement by the government that its ban on all large-scale events was being extended until Sept. 1. The Latest: 99-year-old fundraising UK veteran honored April 22, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___A 99-year-old World War II veteran who has raised more than 28 million pounds ($34.5 million) for Britain’s health service during the coronavirus pandemic has been invited to perform one of British sport’s quaintest traditions once the crisis is over. France is under lockdown until May 11.___The Berlin Marathon says the race cannot be held as planned in September because of new restrictions in the city related to the coronavirus pandemic.City authorities have extended a ban on major events with more than 5,000 people until October 24. More than 62,000 people took part in the marathon last year.Organizers say they will take time to “engage with the consequences of the authorities blocking our events, agree on further steps and then inform you.” There was no mention of any plan to restrict the race to elite runners only. That was the solution used by the Tokyo Marathon on March 1.The Berlin Marathon is typically one of the fastest in the world. The current men’s world record was set in Berlin by Eliud Kipchoge in 2018.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more