Maternity Hospital funding will provide dignity for grieving parents

first_img‘Home from home’ Danu delivery suite officially opens at UMHL 11 Limerick patients in smear test failure NewsCommunityHealthMaternity Hospital funding will provide dignity for grieving parentsBy Editor – March 3, 2017 1580 TAGSUMHL Print Anna is University Maternity Hospital Limerick’s first midwife sonographer Staff at University Maternity Hospital Limerick including Noreen Mann, Eileen Ronan, Eileen Quinlan, Jean Rafferty, Maria Gibbons, Rita O’Brien and Marie Hunt. UMHL has been granted funding to refurbish their Rose Room as part of The Irish Hospice Foundation and HSE’s Design & Dignity Grants Scheme.Staff at University Maternity Hospital Limerick including Noreen Mann, Eileen Ronan, Eileen Quinlan, Jean Rafferty, Maria Gibbons, Rita O’Brien and Marie Hunt. University Maternity Hospital Limerick (UMHL) has been granted funding to refurbish their Rose Room as part of a scheme which transforms hospital spaces for patients at end of life.Approximately €7,200 has been provided – €5,003 of which is a Design & Dignity Grant with the remainder coming from UMHL.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Marie Hunt, CMM2 Bereavement Counselling Midwife, UMHL, said: “On average there are 4,500 babies born here every year. Although the majority of women presenting at the Antenatal Clinic have a positive outcome, sadly there are women who experience fetal loss or fetal abnormalities.“Our ‘Rose Room’ is a quiet room for compassionate care where parents can receive difficult news in privacy. It is situated adjoining one of the main ultrasound rooms with an interconnecting door.  When a doctor identifies a foetal abnormality on the ultrasound scan or when a woman/couple have been asked to return to the hospital for the results of diagnostic tests, there needs to be a private dignified comfortable space where they can be met and cared for. For the remainder of their antenatal care the women need to have this space available for them if they wish,” said Ms Hunt.Refurbishing the room will include painting the door and walls, change of flooring, installing soft lighting, removing the wall cupboards, installing soft furniture and adding an art feature. Clinical staff have been involved in drawing up the plans from the beginning, and many of the ideas have come from midwives, doctors and ultrasonographers working at the front line.“The newly refurbished Rose Room will represent our commitment to providing sensitive and compassionate care to women and their families when receiving bad news while providing a private and dignified space for them to receive their care,” added Ms Hunt.The Design & Dignity scheme previously funded a mortuary refurbishment in University Hospital Limerick as well as family rooms in St John’s Hospital and Nenagh Hospital and a bereavement suite in Ennis Hospital.Mary Lovegrove, Design & Dignity Project Manager with the IHF said: “Our vision for the Design & Dignity project is for an end of life sanctuary in every public hospital in the country by 2021 with approximately 60 projects completed as well as a HSE National Mortuary Capitals Programme underway.” Linkedin WhatsApp Advertisementcenter_img RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleWin cinema ticketsNext articleSearch for Abbeyfeale cemetery site goes on Editor Operations and outpatients cancelled at UHL Twitter Email New service to support pregnant women with mental health problems Caoimhe lights up neo-natal unit at University Maternity Hospital Limerick Facebooklast_img read more

OSHA releases pandemic flu guidance for healthcare workers

first_imgMay 21, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Experts predict that an influenza pandemic will place a long and heavy burden on the medical community, which prompted the US Department of Labor (DOL) to develop guidance for healthcare worker safety that it released today at a press conference.The guidelines, released on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Web site today, cover a range of healthcare settings, from emergency departments to ambulances to temporary patient care facilities. The 100-page document is a follow-up to guidelines released by OSHA in February that provided general guidance for all types of workplaces.Edwin G. Foulke Jr, assistant secretary of labor for OSHA, told reporters today that the guidance for the healthcare workers and other employee groups is part of the Bush administration’s national pandemic strategy. “We have to ensure that essential public services will continue, and only by protecting healthcare workers can we weather a pandemic,” he said.The OSHA guidelines are based on traditional infection control and occupational hygiene principles but may need to be modified or supplemented as more details become known about the transmission once a pandemic strain emerges, Foulke said.The guidance for healthcare workers is divided into four sections that cover clinical information on influenza, infection control, pandemic influenza preparedness, and specific OSHA standards. Donald Wright, director of OSHA’s office of occupational medicine, said he anticipates that healthcare workers will be most interested in the infection control section.A focus of the infection control section is the “weak links” in hospital infection control, such as hand hygiene and respiratory protection compliance. The section stresses that it’s not enough to question employees about hygiene practices; institutions need to observe employee behavior, implement strategies to promote the recommended practices, and cultivate a safety climate that promotes good infection control behaviors.In reviewing several possible patient care scenarios, the OSHA guidance, for example, suggests what to do when a hospital runs out of single rooms for patients: Patients with suspected pandemic influenza could be grouped in cohorts in areas of the facility where they receive care from experienced staff and are isolated from main thoroughfares.OSHA suggests several surveillance activities that would be helpful for hospitals in a pandemic, such as tracking employees who have cared for patients with suspected or confirmed influenza or screening workers each day for influenzalike symptoms.Guidance on personal protective equipment is consistent with other OSHA and US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) advisories, Wright said. Though the HHS pandemic influenza plan does not recommend goggles and face shields for routine care of patients with pandemic influenza, OSHA advises that workers who are within 3 feet of a coughing patient should wear those items.OSHA strongly urges healthcare institutions to stockpile N-95 respirators and other protective equipment, warning that the items will be scarce once a pandemic strikes. “Employers and employees should not count on obtaining any additional protective equipment not already purchased and stockpiled,” the report said. “Therefore, it is important for healthcare facilities to consider respiratory protection for essential personnel to assure that employees are ready, willing, and able to care for the general population.”The guidelines recognized that when supplies are scarce, employees may need to consider reusing their respirators. Reuse of disposable respirators should be limited to a single wearer, be labeled with the employee’s name, and include clear instruction about how to avoid spreading contamination from the outside of the respirator. Wearing a face shield over the respirator may help keep the exterior of the device clean, the OSHA guidance suggests.Several other institutional issues are addressed, such as cleaning patient care equipment, disinfecting patient rooms, and disposing of solid waste.Extensive appendices include several resources for healthcare institutions, such as communication tools for promoting employee infection control practices, strategies for planning respiratory protections programs, triage algorithms, supply and pandemic planning checklists, and even a crisis communication guide for handling questions from the media.See also:OSHA pandemic preparedness and response guidance for healthcare workers and employershttp://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA_pandemic_health.pdfMay 21 OSHA press releaseFeb 8 CIDRAP News article “New OSHA guidance targets pandemic flu”last_img read more

Getafe president confirms Super Eagles star exit

first_img read also:Etebo’s Getafe beat Sociedad to boost Champions League spot hopes “Etebo was a father and his father also died. He managed to enter the country (Nigeria), but cannot leave,” the Getafe owner told EFE, as per TVI24. “It will not come for the match against Inter and then it will go to England because we are not going to exercise the purchase option that we had.” Etebo is under contract with Stoke City, which runs until the summer of 2023. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Getafe President, Ángel Torres Sanchez, has confirmed that Super Eagles star, Peter Oghenekaro Etebo, has played his last match for the Azulones as the club will not exercise their purchase option on the hardworking midfielder. Etebo joined Getafe from Championship side Stoke City during the winter market in January on a temporary deal, and he went on to show his quality, playing 11 games – ten in La Liga and another in the Copa del Rey – and scoring a goal. But injury halted the 24-year-old’s campaign. The former Feirense star last played in the 2-1 victory over Real Sociedad in late June, which coincidentally was the only win Jose Bordalas’ men recorded in their last seven matches before finishing eighth in the final league standing. Etebo then had to depart Spain for Nigeria following the death of his father, and due to the travelling protocol in the African nation due to the coronavirus pandemic, the former Las Palmas ace has not been able to return to Madrid. This means Etebo will not be available for selection when Getafe trade tackles with Inter Milan at the Veltins-Arena in Gelsenkirchen next week, forcing Torres Sanchez to decide on his future.Advertisementcenter_img Promoted ContentCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By Odeith8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthWe’re Getting More Game Of Thrones: Enter House Of The Dragon!8 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooThe Untold Truth Of Sasha Obama5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parkslast_img read more

Cech is happy at Chelsea – agent

first_img “Petr is satisfied at Chelsea and there is interest in his services even after his playing football career – they would want him to continue in some position at the club.” Cech is currently recovering from shoulder surgery but is expected to be ready in time for the start of pre-season. “Petr is successfully continuing his recovery from his [shoulder] injury and everything is going according to the plan,” Kolar added. “He will be ready for the start of the pre-season.” Monaco and Paris St Germain are both interested in signing Petr Cech but the Chelsea goalkeeper is happy to stay at Stamford Bridge, according to the player’s agent. Cech joined Chelsea 10 years ago from French side Rennes and has gone on to establish himself as one of the most reliable stoppers in the Premier League. The 32-year-old’s future at Chelsea is in doubt, however, with rising star Thibaut Courtois expected to return after another impressive season on loan at Primera Division champions Atletico Madrid. “Paris St Germain have shown interest and we have also communicated with Monaco,” Cech’s agent Viktor Kolar is quoted as saying on Czech website Aktualne. “Nothing changes. He has two years left on his Chelsea contract and has an interest to continue there. “We have not been given any signals that Petr will be made available a nd even if that was the case you have to realise that Petr is one of the world’s top goalkeepers and has a certain salary. “There are not many clubs who could afford to sign him – i f he were to leave, we’re only talking about two or three clubs in the world. “The situation is always evolving, of course, but for now he is staying at Chelsea.” Cech has made 326 league appearances for the Blues and helped them lift three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the Champions League. Kolar says his client is happy in London and suggested he could take up a coaching role at the club when his playing career comes to an end. “Petr isn’t 20 any more. His family are satisfied living in London,” Kolar said. Press Associationlast_img read more