The 2012 Hesburgh International Scholars Experience (HISE) will bring 60 accepted international students to the University on Saturday. Julie Denkler, Assistant Director in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, said Notre Dame is greatly benefited by the Hesburgh International Scholars program and its ability to continue the diversification of the student body. “A campus community is always benefited by diversity,” she said. “We see diversity in numerous ways, [such as] geographic diversity, cultural and ethnic diversity, racial diversity, as well as religious diversity among others.” Denkler said this is the fifth year the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has brought international prospective students through the Hesburgh International Scholars Experience. This year the Office of Undergraduate Admissions accepted the most international students to date, with students from 22 different countries. “Two years ago, we expanded the program to include students from Europe, and this year, we invited students from Canada as well,” she said. “We are trying to give more of our top admitted international students the opportunity to visit campus and see for themselves whether Notre Dame is a place they might want to spend the next four years of their lives.” Sophomore Paulina RullÃ¡n, an undergraduate leader for the HISE planning committee, said the diversity international students bring to campus is essential for an optimal college experience. “Notre Dame puts a huge effort to bring the best international students and be part of our family,” she said. “This not only gives international students the opportunity to grow in another culture and have a great education from Notre Dame but it also brings diversity and makes the campus a more interesting educational institution for both faculty and students.” RullÃ¡n said one of the events includes a meeting with University President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh. “The program was created in honor of Fr. Hesburgh’s interest and passion for international students,” she said. “We have an incredible group of scholars coming to visit this year, and we thought that meeting with Fr. Hesburgh would just epitomize their visit.” Sophomore Ignacio Aranguren, a 2011 Hesburgh International Scholar, said the HISE weekend prepared him for his time at Notre Dame. “I remember feeling very thankful in the beginning of freshman year for HISE weekend,” he said. “It was really a great way not only to see life at Notre Dame first hand, but I was also able to meet the community that would be the essential part of my college experience.” Aranguren said he hopes prospective students will take full advantage of the opportunities this university will offer to them. “I hope [the Hesburgh scholars] understand how important they are to the University,” he said. “If they choose to be part of Notre Dame, they’ll be representing their family, country and culture at this school. Thanks to HISE, when they return in the fall, they’ll hit the ground running.”
Aside from public transportation, public services such as district and subdistrict offices, community health centers, as well as mayor and governor offices will be operating as well.“We have also prepared protocols for public or religious events, which we will inform the public about soon,” Anies added.A Flourish mapAnies also asked business owners to prepare for a protocol for remote working for private businesses.“We have yet to prepare a protocol for that, but offices and companies have to prepare for the protocols and procedures. We did not wish for this to happen, but at least they will be prepared if something happens,” Anies said.On Friday, the Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general Achmad Yurianto announced that the number of coronavirus cases in Indonesia had increased to 69 with 35 new cases.The ministry has recorded four deaths so far. Two of the three new fatalities are Case 35 and 36, identified as a 57-year-old woman and a 37-year-old woman, who died in Sulianto Saroso Infectious Hospital. (dpk)Topics : Tourist destinations and entertainment places owned by the Jakarta administration will be temporarily closed for two weeks in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said on Friday.The destinations are Ancol Dreamland Park, Ragunan Zoo, the National Monument and government-owned museums.“Public transportation will be operating as usual,” Anies said, adding that Car Free Day would be suspended as well to minimize contacts in open public space.
The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board (C-NLOPB) has issued calls for the submission of nominations of areas of interest located in the South Eastern Newfoundland Region and the Jeanne d’Arc Region.Source: C-NLOPBCall for nominations, labeled as NL18-CFN02 for South Eastern Newfoundland and NL18-CFN03 in Jeanne d’Arc, will assist the C-NLOPB in selecting parcels to be included in subsequent 2019 Calls for Bids, which will close in November 2019.Following the call for bids in 2019, any successful bidders would be awarded licenses in early 2020.The C-NLOPB said on Thursday that it was issuing the call for nominations under its scheduled land tenure system.According to the Board, offshore safety and environmental protection are important in all of its decisions. The South Eastern Newfoundland Sector NL01-SEN and the Jeanne d’Arc Region were included in the Eastern Newfoundland Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) concluded by the C-NLOPB, with input from a multi-stakeholder working group in 2014.Also, for any lands entirely or partially beyond Canada’s 200 nautical mile zone, additional terms and conditions may be applied, either through legislation, regulations, amendments to licenses, or otherwise, to any resulting license from a call for bids to meet obligations under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.To remind, the last call for nominations issued by the C-NLOPB was for areas of interest located in the Eastern Newfoundland region in January.
The Latest: SEC unveils preseason football practice schedule The league played its last games on March 8 and was suspended with the regular season complete and the playoffs due to begin. The season was canceled and no champion was declared. Hockey has been slow to return in Germany because the league and clubs rejected the option of playing in empty arenas. They argued that they would lose money by hosting games without fans.The league says there will be a “preparation tournament with all 14 clubs in the lead-up to the season” but dates and locations are yet to be confirmed.___A soccer player who deliberately coughs close to another player or match official can be issued a red card. Midi Libre said four young players from Montpellier academy also tested positive for the virus last week. The French league is to start on Aug. 21.___The German men’s ice hockey league will start its new season in November, more than eight months after the coronavirus stopped play. The league says its clubs agreed on the Nov. 13 date to begin the 2020-21 season and they’re drawing up plans to have fans in the arenas, subject to approval from German authorities. ___The Madrid Open, a joint men’s and women’s tennis tournament, has been canceled.Organizers say the tournament will not take place at its rescheduled slot in September “following strong” recommendations made by local authorities “in view of the current situation caused by COVID-19.” The event was originally scheduled to be played in May. ___ The league announced a new preseason practice schedule on Tuesday after previously announcing that SEC teams would play only league games and pushing the season start back to Sept. 26.The new league-wide calendar allows for more days off and fewer practices than permitted under NCAA rules. From Aug. 7-16, teams are allowed to conduct up to 14 hours weekly of strength and conditioning, meetings and walkthroughs.Starting Aug. 17, they can hold 25 practices with a limit of 20 hours per week of practice time. Coaches must allow two days off each week until game week.___Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Andrew Billings has opted out of the 2020 season because of coronavirus concerns. ___A preseason friendly between French soccer clubs Marseille and Montpellier has been canceled due to a suspected case of coronavirus.The clubs said in a joint statement that Wednesday’s match at Stade Velodrome in Marseille was scrapped as a measure of precaution.According to regional newspaper Midi Libre, a Montpellier player whose identity was not revealed is suspected to have caught the virus. The player, who was tested with the whole team on Monday, will undergo another test this week, the newspaper said.Montpellier had been forced to cancel another preparation match last month after a player from local rival club Sete was diagnosed with the virus. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The start of Southeastern Conference football practices has been pushed back 10 days to Aug. 17. The series also would have overlapped with the Indian Premier League which has been rescheduled to be in the United Arab Emirates from Sept. 19-Nov. 10, pending government approval. The lucrative IPL usually attracts players from all over the world, including many stars from the Caribbean and Australia.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The Jacksonville Jaguars have cleared starting quarterback Gardner Minshew from the COVID-19 list.Minshew spent the last two days in mandatory quarantine after being in close contact with someone infected. Safety Andrew Wingard also was activated from the COVID-19 list Tuesday. Minshew, Wingard and receiver Michael Walker are roommates in Jacksonville and have been for more than a year. Walker remains on the list.Jacksonville had an NFL-leading dozen players on the COVID-19 list Monday, with most of them being rookies and second-year players like Minshew, Wingard and Walker.The Jaguars are expected to hold their first training camp practice next Wednesday.___ Bayer Leverkusen says midfielder Nadiem Amiri will miss its Europa League last-16 game against Rangers on Thursday after he had contact with someone believed to have the coronavirus. The club says Amiri reported the “short-term” contact in his private life himself and is isolating at home for a week as a precaution.Leverkusen managing director sport Rudi Völler says in a statement that “Nadiem’s behavior is exemplary and important. Precisely because infection numbers are rising again in Germany, it’s an example of a serious and responsible approach to the pandemic.”Leverkusen takes a 3-1 lead from the first leg in March when it hosts Rangers on Thursday.Amiri has played 41 games for Leverkusen this season across all competitions. ___The Sun Belt Conference will keep its eight-game league football schedule and allow its members to play up to four nonconference games this season.The conference’s 10 members had 12 games scheduled against Power Five conference opponents, but with those leagues eliminating almost all of their nonconference games, Sun Belt schools have lots of holes in their schedules.The conference said it plans to start playing league games over Labor Day weekend and members can begin nonconference games as soon as Aug. 29.Texas State already has announced it has moved its home game against SMU in San Marcos, Texas, to Aug. 29. Billings signed a one-year free-agent contract with Cleveland in March after spending three seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. The 6-foot-1, 328-pounder was going to give the Browns some size and depth up front.Billings is the third Cleveland player who has chosen not to play, following guard Drew Forbes and tackle Drake Dorbeck.Players have until Thursday at 4 p.m. to notify teams if they’re choosing to opt out.A fourth-round pick in 2016 from Baylor, Billings sat out his rookie season with a knee injury but he’d been one of Cincinnati’s most consistent interior linemen the past three years.The Browns also placed wide receiver Ja’Marcus Bradley on the reserve/COVID-19 list. August 4, 2020 The International Football Association Board, the game’s lawmaker, updated its guidelines while the pandemic perseveres.A referee can only red card a player when they are certain the cough is intentional. A yellow card is also optional.The new rule falls under “using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures.”IFAB said in a statement: “As with all offenses, the referee has to make a judgment about the true nature of the offense.“If it were clearly accidental, then the referee would not take action nor if the ‘cough’ took place with a large distance between the players. “However, where it is close enough to be clearly offensive, then the referee can take action.”___Cricket Australia has postponed a Twenty20 series against the West Indies scheduled for October.Australia and the West Indies were set to play games in Queensland state from Oct. 4-9 as warm-ups for the Twenty20 World Cup in October and November. But the International Cricket Council has already pushed the men’s T20 World Cup back by a year — to be held either in Australia or India. Cricket Australia says, “In light of this development, and given the preference to host the warm-up three-match T20 series against the West Indies to coincide with the rescheduled T20 World Cup in Australia, it has been agreed to postpone the matches.” Associated Press
In the months following his junior season with the Baldwinsville baseball team, pitcher Jason Savacool would test himself against national and international competition, earning plenty of accolades along the way.And those accolades continued even though Savacool never had a chance to take to the mound this spring.It was announced on Thursday, May 21 that Savacool was chosen as Gatorade’s New York Baseball Player of the Year, weeks before he finds out if he will get chosen in the Major League Baseball Draft. Savacool was the top returning senior in Section III baseball going into 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic closed schools in mid-March and for the rest of the academic year.Having signed his letter of intent to attend the University of Maryland, Savacool might still go to College Park, but those plans could change on June 10-11, when MLB holds its draft.If it were a typical year, Savacool would expect to be drafted in one of 40 rounds. However, in a cost-cutting move related to the COVID-19 pandemic, MLB shortened the draft to five rounds.Savacool said that, were he to be drafted, it would take a specific signing bonus for him to alter his plans of going to Maryland. Once in college, he would have to wait three years before getting another chance at the draft in 2023.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story A true student-athlete, Savacool earned a 4.0 grade point average during his senior year at C.W. Baker High School while also scoring a 1,500 on his SATs.And all this came despite Savacool missing the beginning of the school year, for he was in Gijang, South Korea, competing with USA Baseball’s 18-and-under national team at the World Baseball/Softball Confederation World Cup. Savacool helped Team USA to a second-place finish.He had earned his spot on the team through a summer of 2019 spent in Major League Baseball’s Prospect Development Pipeline League, where he stood out during camps in Florida and California and, in between, traveled to Cleveland for a prospects game during MLB’s All-Star festivities. Tags: BaldwinsvilleBaseballjason savacool