News Reports 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Organisation December 22, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders deeply concerned by the murder of journalist William Soto Cheng Receive email alerts RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America News Help by sharing this information April 27, 2021 Find out more to go further ColombiaAmericas October 21, 2020 Find out more May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Colombia TV journalist William Soto Cheng, of the local channel Telemar, was gunned down in the streets of Buenaventura, central west Colombia on 18 December. Reporters Without Borders has called on the authorities to ensure that “the killers and those who ordered the murder are punished”, stressing that “early indications suggest that the murder was linked to the journalist’s work.” Reporters Without Borders has expressed its deep concern over the murder of journalist William Soto Cheng in Buenaventura, central west Colombia.Cheng, 46, who worked for the local television station Telemar was gunned down at point blank range by two men on a motorbike in the streets of the Pacific Ocean port of Buenaventura, close to the station’s offices on 18 December.”Since the early indications suggest the murder was linked to the journalist’s work, we call on you to do your utmost to see that the killers and those who ordered the murder are punished,” said Reporters Without Borders in a letter to the state prosecutor-general Luis Camilo Osorio.He was the 11th journalist to be murdered in Colombia in 2003 and Reporters Without Borders has said it believes that four of the previous ten victims were killed because of their work.”In common with four other journalists murdered in 2003, Cheng had spoken out against corruption or irregularities, implicating local elected officials or members of the security forces,” said the press freedom organisation. In his programme “Litoral Pacífico”, he systematically denounced irregularities apparently committed by local officials and leading figures in the region.He had alleged electoral fraud the day after municipal elections on 26 October, in which he suggested members of the army and the police were implicated.The ballot resulted in the election as mayor of Buenaventura of Saulo Quiñones, of the Colombian Liberal Party. Cheng withdrew his allegations and apologised after he was threatened with legal action.A journalist colleague said that earlier in the year Cheng had alleged embezzlement at the municipal sports institute. One of the managers of the institute had come to blows with him. The same source said that the journalist had recently been threatened and had been thinking of leaving Buenaventura.The four journalists killed in 2003 because of their work were: Luis Eduardo Alfonso (killed 18 March), José Emeterio Rivas (6 April), Guillermo Bravo Vega (28 April), Jaime Rengifo Revero (29 April). News RSF_en RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia ColombiaAmericas
May 3, 2021 Find out more November 21, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 A journalist gunned down southeast of Manila RSF_en Organisation PhilippinesAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders voiced mounting concern about violence against journalists and the news media in the Philippines today after a second journalist was gunned down in the space of three days. The latest victim was Roberto Ramos of Katapat, a newspaper based in Laguna, southeast of Manila, who was shot dead yesterday for as yet unclear reasons.“Although no links have yet been established between these two murders and what the victims were working on, the government’s efforts to enable reporters to practice their trade without fear seem inadequate and we urge the authorities to step up protection for the media,” the press freedom organisation said.Ramos was at the side of the road near his newspaper in Cabuyao (about 100 km southeast of Manila) yesterday when two men on motorcycle stopped next to him and one of them shot him twice in the head with a .38 pistol, killing him instantly.Radio reporter Ricardo “Ding” Uy, a member of the radical left-wing party Bayan Muna and head a local reporters’ association, was gunned down in similar circumstances in Sorsogon City on 18 November.Jose Torres, the president of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said: “The growing practice of violence towards the media and journalists is unacceptable acceptable (…) Philippine journalists are in danger, despite the government’s statements of support for press freedom.”Before these latest murders, Reporters Without Borders had registered five journalists killed in connection with their work since the start of the year in the Philippines, which is now the deadliest country in the world for journalists after Iraq. News Reporters Without Borders voices mounting concern about violence against journalists in the Philippines after Roberto Ramos, a reporter with Katapat, a local newspaper based in Laguna, southeast of Manila, was gunned down yesterday for as yet unclear reasons. Filipina journalist still held although court dismissed case eleven days ago News June 1, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Mass international solidarity campaign launched in support of Maria Ressa Follow the news on Philippines to go further February 16, 2021 Find out more Philippines: RSF and the #HoldTheLine Coalition welcome reprieve for Maria Ressa, demand all other charges and cases be dropped PhilippinesAsia – Pacific News Help by sharing this information News
As you can see in the movie, Ms. Howe is a passionate music educator, and her students love her for it. The students in Howe’s kindergarten through 5th grade classrooms are able to use the the instruments on varying levels. “I just felt so honored and empowered and I know my students felt the same way,” Howe said. “To say, ‘Hey, these people liked our school so much and our class so much that they choose us to give money too. You guys are musicians, you’re real musicians because these real musicians choose to honor that by giving you money.’”**Watch the video here**Thanks to the Mockingbird Foundation for all you do bringing music education to our nation’s future generations, and to Khara Howe for showing the kids of Winston-Salem the magic of music.To donate to the Mockingbird Foundation, head to the non-profit’s website.[h/t – WXII Winston-Salem] In celebration of Phish’s 13-show Baker’s Dozen residency at Madison Square Garden this past summer, the board of the Mockingbird Foundation–a non-profit started and run by Phish fans to help promote youth music education–identified 13 of their favorite Phish shows and donated “miracle grants” to worthy music programs near where each show took place (learn more about the program here).One of those donations this summer, given in honor of Phish’s 11/23/97 show in Winston-Salem, was awarded to the music program Winston-Salem, NC’s Easton Elementary School. Enthusiastic young music teacher Khara Howe initially submitted the application for the grant to the Mockingbird, and when her proposal was accepted, she decided to spend the money on simple instruments for her students to use in hopes of instilling them with a lasting love of music.Earlier this week, local news station WXII aired a package about the grant, the Easton Elementary music program, and the positive effect it is having on the kids of the town.
LocalNews Peter Karam has resigned from the Board of DBS by: – June 4, 2011 Share Share Mr. Peter Karam. Photo credit: FacebookMr. Peter Karam who until May 31, 2011 has served as a Director on the board of the Dominica Broadcasting Co-operation has resigned two months before his two year contract would have expired.In a letter addressed to the Minister for Information Honourable Ambrose George, Mr. Karam cited political pressure and inability to work with some members of the board and staff of DBS as his reasons for resigning. Mr. Karam was re-appointed as Director of the Board via a letter dated August 28th, 2009 which took effect from August 1, 2009. The letter indicated a two year contract which would have ended on 31st July, 2011.Dominica Vibes News Tweet 68 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring!